"You promised..." Wangji answered.

Wangji hugged him tightly, and whispered, "thank you, dad.. for everything..." truly a sight to behold.

"Mm." Wangji hummed, placing a kiss on his son's head.

Xichen who was watching the scene smiled. His brother is not a person who would be intimate. But now, maybe... He thought... His brother is happy... With that child... The child he always takes in his arms.

Sizhui was never a Lan blood. He was first a child of Wen's and then one of the unknown origins yet in his every life... He was always the one who showered love to his father figure. The one who always promised sweet nothing to his brother even if they would part miserably. Even when his attitude was worse or best in any lifetimes – this child would give in and treat Wangji the very best he could until his last breath. Lan Xichen could still remember it, that one life filled with nothing but tears, the regret and the guilt – most of all that urge to protect. He had once witnessed a Sizhui who pushed Lan Wangji away. It was a distant memory and Xichen was glad that this Sizhui remains as close as possible to his brother.

In this life, Xichen remembered the time when Sizhui was told about the Lan Clan's secret. The child merely smiled and nodded while hugging his father's leg. He had that one soft smile as if he knew his past lives, melancholy, sadness, and pain. If Lan Xichen would commend this child, it was his nature to remain strong despite all adversities that stood between him and Wangji.

There was one time when Sizhui once asked Xichen about his previous life. Despite all painful revelations, this child smiled heartily and told him that he was so lucky to have this man he has no relation to as his father. But, there one thing that Xichen cannot tell him how he ended in those previous lives.

To which, in every lifetime, Lan Sizhui never grows old... He will always die at the same age Wangji had killed him in his first life. However, during those lifetimes, it was not always Wangji's blade that killed him. But it was always Wangji, the reason for his death.

He watches how his brother remains sane for years with the comfort from a promise that he would always find him, raise him, and love him. It was a promise that Wangji always hold every time Sizhui asked him. It was all to the point of discarding his sword, leaving everything behind as he walked into the lonely street while searching. He had witnessed the worst of Lan Wangji's life. He had heard the throat tearing screams. He had watched those agonizing tears and woes in their worse. Everything, everything pain was healed with just one encounter.

Like this, just like this scene. It was Lan Xichen wished to see.

He walked towards them as soon as the father-son talked about non-sensical things.

"Where's Jingyi?" he asked.

"Struggling with geometry..." Sizhui answers, "I want to help him but grandpa Ren was there..."

Xichen smiled at the thought, how ironic it was that the strict Lan Qiren and un-Lan-ly Jingyi ended up with the closest relation among those in the previous lives. It's not that it's weird or anything. To be the truth is was definitely a sight to behold. Lan Qiren and Lan Jingyi tandem could be the worse pair but at the same time, it was the most fascinating relation.

"How's school?" He asked.

"Great! Sir Wei already became my most favorite teacher!" Sizhui beamed, "it's not the same uptight class we are attending.. it seemed too unorthodox but he really was able to explain to use the points that other teachers cannot... It was a really fun class"

Xichen smiled amusedly. Sizhui would definitely say that, "he'll substitute for homeroom while Ma'am Lou has her maternity leave.. aside from Art class, he'll teach general courses too... I really can't wait..."