dead men tell no tales

dead men tell no tales / introduction

you asked how large my sorrow is. and i answered, like a river in spring flowing east.

( r.f. kuang )

Dead men tell no tales, but arcadius ross was not dead. many would call him that, and in all honesty, he wished he was. death seemed far kinder than the reality he faced after the dust of the fighting cleared. the sun shone brightly, with every passing hour almost blinding. none of the warmth of the summer sun seemed to reach him though ( well, fair, he did betray the gods ), but he never enjoyed it anyway, always preferring the veil of the night and the cool breeze of the moon to the scorching flames of the star. and even if seeing the sun meant that he was alive, that he survived ( survival was supposed to mean something, after all ), he couldn't bring himself to smile, to care, because as of this faithful night, he was alone.

and all arcadius ross could think of was that none of his friends would see another day, that they would never see the damned sun or how perfectly blue the sky was. and it was cruel, so fucking cruel, how he, with his long list of sins, was still breathing and walking the earth while all his friends, who did nothing wrong besides wanting to make a new order of things, where they all could just fit in, where they would stop being underestimated just because their parents didn't seem to be important, were currently crossing the river styx, forever to be looming in the underworld.

arcadius ross supposed that for the first time in his life, he was afraid. no, he was terrified. terrified of what was about to come. terrified of the faces that would forever haunt him. terrified of how the fuck he was supposed to live without the people he loved. terrified of how he was now cursed with longing for something he could never reach again, not even in his dreams.

dead men tell no tales, but arcadius ross was not dead. but he wished he was.

the dead ( living? ) / all as described in the book.

arcadius ross / phobos