Chapter 1 - New Disciples and their Shizun

A group of children no older than ten walked closely together, following their new Shixiong up the steep stairs of the mountain. Like many of the disciples within the Sect, these children came into the Sect after having their dreams crushed by the other four Sects.

The other Sects tests were more rigorous and tantalizing than they needed to be. On top of that they also required new disciples to come from 'certain' backgrounds. It was a hidden rule, one that often wasn't mentioned until it was too late. Aspiring disciples that had traveled far and wide for a single chance at becoming a disciple had their dreams crushed before they could even register their names.

Lucky for them, a disciple from another Sect was ready to give them a chance. The Sect, though lesser known, was as good as the other Sects when it came to cultivation and reputation. The aspiring disciples knew better than to turn away such an invitation. Soon they found themselves at the bottom of a flight of stairs carved into a mountain.

This was their only test. Climb the mountain and enter the Sect. If they could make it they would become a disciple. No family lineage check and a simple test. To most of these aspiring disciples this was a dream.

The Shixiong that led them was an older boy around the age of fifteen. HIs long black hair was tightly secured into a high ponytail, his flowing light blue and white disciple robes looked far more comfortable and prestigious than any of the rags the aspiring disciples wore. He gave off a warm aura and kept making sure they were following closely behind him.

The Sect they were headed to was in a mountain range that was surrounded by a forest filled to the brim with wild animals. If they weren't careful enough they could end up as dinner for one of them or so they had been told by their Shixiong.

At one point during their grueling journey, their Shixiong had turned to face them. A smile on his face as he said, "It seems there is a lot of potential this year."

The aspiring disciples glanced at one another in confusion before realizing that not one of them had given up.

Their Shixiong cocked his head to the side, "Just ahead is the entrance to the Pingjing Sect. Once we enter, I will show you around before you are settled into the disciples wing." He paused, his gaze landing on each one of them, "Congratulations on becoming Disciples of Pingjing Sect."

Wide eyed and mouths agape, the children processed the words. Tears threatened to spill from their eyes as they let out a joyful cheer. All their hard work had finally paid off.

They followed their new Shixiong through a dense fog at the top of the mountain. For a single moment they were afraid they would get lost. The fog surrounding them though dense was clear enough for them to see their Shixiong's brightly colored robes.

Before long the fog cleared up. Their eyes went wide and they shouted in excitement.

It was beautiful. They stood on a small clearing of land looking out to a mountain range with clear blue skies. Laid before them were a flight of small stone carved stairs carved from the land they stood on. The flight of stairs connected to an even bigger mountain that contained some extravagantly crafted buildings. Disciples could be seen in front of the buildings either practicing with their swords or playing an instrument. Alongside that mountain was another one just like that. In fact, all the surrounding mountains contained a building similar to the one closest to them. Stone carved stairs and bridges connected the mountains to each other, and at the center of it all was a building even more extravagant than the others. It towered over the mountains and was surrounded by trees just as big as it.

"Follow me." Their Shixiong led them to the flight of stoned stairs. The new disciples were in awe as they set foot on their first mountain. Trees linned the buildings like a second skin, cascading over them, and yet the building still looked just as elegant if not more extravagant. A small garden sat at the foot of each building, each one unique in plant life and color. Waterfalls rushed freely downward, sometimes through some of the buildings and if they walked close enough they could even see some fishes swimming freely within the water.