Chapter 33 - Genesis

~ Irina's P.O.V. ~

————————————————

*One month later - August 1965*

I was woken from a deep dreamless sleep as my stomach began to churn violently, the contents threatening to spill over.

I swallowed hard as I tried to suppress it. However, my efforts were to no avail as I felt the burning nauseating sensation flow upward in reverse peristalsis, beyond my control.

I threw off the covers and freed myself from Kit's tight grip as I ran to the bathroom across the hall, hovering over the toilet as last night's dinner spilled into the toilet. I gagged as the remnants spilled out of my mouth, scrunching up my face at the putrid smell before flushing the revolting concoction.

I put my hair back in a ponytail as I stood there brushing my teeth with the cinnamon flavored tooth paste in the dark bathroom, my catlike eyes reflecting translucently in the dark.

I have not been feeling well for the past couple of days. I've been vomiting primarily in the mornings and evenings, my brain unable to concentrate on anything. I've been moody, sleeping often.

As I wiped my mouth, tasting the cinnamon flavor against my palate, I suddenly felt the strong presence of a spirit drawing nearer and nearer. We've lived in this house for four months and no spirits have shown themselves, I thought to myself. No one died recently. Who the hell is trying to get my attention? Did something happen that I'm not aware of? Or is this someone I don't know? I sighed. I'm exhausted; I'll tend to them in the morning.

However, the presence was too strong to ignore as it seemed to hover directly above me, radiating strength and the desire to be known and acknowledged. I felt the itch in my brain return as what seemed to be static waves flowed through my mind, the type of static that occurs when a spirit attempts to communicate.

 Hello? Is anybody there? Don't be afraid...

No answer.

I proceeded to take a walk around the house, clearing my head and trying to decipher what was happening. I pulled each of the ends of Kit's flannel that I was wearing close together across my bare torso, shielding my body from the crisp nighttime air. I paced around, my feet padding up the stairs and rounding corners, staring out the windows. Once my tired and groggy state subsided, I put two and two together, realizing that it was obvious what was going on: I was pregnant.

"I'm pregnant," I whispered to myself, a smile tugging at the corners of my lips as the truth hit me. "I'm really pregnant."

 Maybe I should go to the doctor, I began to think, but then I realized that I trusted my own body above all.

At Briarcliff, I had learned that trusting my intuitive instincts was much more reliable at times than science. The same situation had happened when I had miscarried, though I did not have the pregnancy symptoms to accompany it yet. There was no doubt in my mind that a life growing inside me, mine and Kit's. I smiled at the thought of the genesis of life taking root in my very own body.

Despite my joy, I began to recall the chilling day after Christmas when I received the news of the unfortunate miscarriage.

 "I also must warn you that this seems to be a complete miscarriage. The cramping and soreness in your back in its severity suggests that the fetus will likely be expelled at any given moment," the auburn haired nun warned me as she changed my underwear and inserted a cloth inside, situated a clean towel underneath me. "So heed the warning and be prepared for that. It may feel uncomfortable and...invoke a lot of emotions. Call one of us over when that happens or if you need anything else. Afterwards, I also must warn you that the bleeding will continue for a few days after today in a lesser volume, similarly to a period."