Chapter 16 - The Unseen Spirit

~ Irina's P.O.V. ~

------------------------------------------------------

       "Good day, Miss Pashkova," Monsignor Howard greeted me with his quiet proper accent. "We meet again. How are you on this fine morning?"

        I bent my knees to situate myself on the cushioned kneeler in the small closet like room, peering through the screen between us. It was only the second time I had been to confession; after being admitted for two months, it was now required. I always went last. I'm not sure why, it just happened to be that way.

        "I'm well, Monsignor Howard. How about yourself?" I asked in my most joyful voice.

        "I'm well thank you," he nodded shortly. "Shall we begin?"

        "Yes. Forgive me, Father, for I have sinned."

        "What sins have you committed, my child?"

        "Nothing out of the ordinary. Communicating with the spirits, taking some food from the bakery..." My voice faltered at the end. No, I shouldn't tell him. It would save me so much trouble.

        "Miss Pashkova are you alright? Have you done anything else?" He peered at me curiously.

        "No," I shook my head, casting out the thought. "No, I was just thinking."

        "It really seems as if you are hiding something, child. What is it?" His glinting eyes convincing.        

         "I engaged in sin with...with Kit Walker. He and I  indulged in our carnal desires, the sin of the flesh..."

        "Well just last confession you said you had not sinned with the young man," he continued to eye me peculiarly.

        "I know," I exhaled, not meeting his eyes. "In fact it was later that day. I just succumbed to the desires of the flesh. I was weak that day, though I do not know why. It's something I'm not proud of," the last part was definitely a lie. I tried not to smirk to myself.

        'Well make sure that it does not happen again. Remember, though, that the Lord forgives all sins because he is good. Always remember that - God is good, God is hope."

        "I'll make sure of it, thank you," I smiled as he dismissed me.

        I walked out into the darkness of the church, cast with the glowing of tea light and taper candles and filled with the same haunting yet beautifully holy feeling that always pervaded the church.

        Then, I felt something rather peculiar. I knew it was a presence, a very strong presence at that. I think the only thing I felt that was stronger was the Devil during the attempted exorcism about a month or two ago. But I knew nothing about this presence and when I say nothing I literally mean nothing. The gender, age, race, ethnicity, appearance, personality, aura, and literally everything about it was unbeknownst to me. The only thing I recognized was that it was created from the same energy components that created human spirits; it was an earthly spirit from neither Heaven or Hell. However, it felt as if it was from a different dimension, just barely out of reach.

        It had been going on since last night, getting slightly worse. It bothered me that it was just out of reach, just barely tangible. 

        Show yourself, I commanded mentally.

        Silence.

        I know you're there. Why don't you let me see anything about you? I can help you, I promise. I may not be the best. My power is limited and uncontrolled. I lack guidance, but it's in me. I can listen, I can try to find your family. What do you need? You can at least reveal one thing, if you'd like...I made sure the voice in my conscience was soothing, comforting and inviting.