Chapter 7

I woke up with a bitch of a headache. My head was splitting and I was in so much discomfort. I vaguely remembered drinking with Deji last night, did I puke on him at some time or was it just a dream? Please dear God, let it be a dream. I would literally die of shame if he brought it up.

Getting my grumpy unwilling ass out of bed, I grumbled on my way to the bathroom as I held my head in my hands. It hurts so bad and what the hell was I thinking? Drinking so much. God.

I looked into my bathroom mirror for a moment and cringed for a minute there. I looked beyond horrible, my eyes were swollen and bloodshot. Like I was lacking sleep and crying at the same time. Giant eye bags settled under my eyes and they were slowly turning black. God, what did I do to myself?

Splashing water on my face, I struggled to keep my eyes open while I worked tirelessly on looking like a human. After endless minutes of washing, rewashing, pulling and pushing. I finally got a  near average result. I looked more of a half zombie, half human. Better than full zombie if you ask me.

Another thing I dreaded was too much makeup. But today, I had to do something about my eyes or everyone wouldn't have to ask before they know I'm not having the best time.

Opening my drawer, I took out my makeup kit. It consisted mainly of stuff I just never use. Elizabeth bought most of it, whenever she bought something, she always wanted me to get something similar. Groaning, I started poking and drawing. Just all sorts of actions even I wasn't able to comprehend, I just wanted to look human. My attempts at drawing a winged eyeliner failed woefully and I finally gave up. I almost poked my eyes out with the mascara brush.

I got a tight fitting dress out of my wardrobe it was a beige coloured dress and it did wonders on my body. Nit bothering to wear a wig, I combed my short hair and added some sheen. Gotta go to work looking normal. Pairing my dress with black platforms heels and a matching bag, I took a deep breath and got mentally ready to face Deji.

I didn't remember much of what I did last night but something wouldn't stop telling me at the back of my mind that it was worse than I could ever imagine and I dreaded that the voice may be correct. I've never gotten drunk. I prided myself on the fact that I'm a responsible drinker, but now I just wasn't so sure anymore.

"Kathy honey," dad greeted as soon as I entered the living room. His eyes were clear as day and he looked happier today than I've ever seen in a long time.

"Father," I regarded calmly.

"I packed some lunch for you," he said, pointing at a well packed lunch box on the dining table.

"Oh thanks so much father." I raced to grab my lunch and waves him good-bye. I was already late for work. I was grateful he hasn't started asking questions about last night and why I was wearing too much makeup than usual.

When you're twenty four and still living with your parent, your movements will always be questioned trust me. Now that father has made it a point to be sober, I could start looking for my own apartment. But costs of living in cities are crazy high and having a place where you live rent free is kinda good. Apart from some periodic nosiness, it felt good that you can breathe and not owe anyone rent money.

The drive to the office was long, I got my coffee to keep me more awake as I drove. I felt like shit. I just wished that the company was mine on a day like this and I could just sleep at home and have no one question my authority.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw a black Bugatti parked in the lot. Even our former owners didn't have a car that luxurious not to talk about the workers. It could only mean one thing, Iokua was in today. And he even got here before me.