Chapter 4

I thought everything will be okay after a few weeks but nothing was. My mind has not been at rest. I really tried to move on but I couldn't just wrap my head around the fact that someone was killed and I witnessed the murder, what's worse? The police couldn't do anything. I have been called in for rounds and rounds of interviews. Nothing ever changed, finally they said my testimony wasn't enough and I wasn't needed any longer.

I got everyone worried and even though I tried not to, it still affected my work. I have been given queries two times in four weeks. If I keep this going, I'll be sacked before I could blink. I needed my job and my life. Both are equally important.

"Kathy," Eliza nudged my shoulder.

"Yes?"

"Are you still thinking about it?"

"No," I lied. She knew of course and I knew I was thinking about it. But what else could I do?

"Well, don't....." She started to say when a low murmur started spreading through the large space. With each voice joining in the low whisper, the voices got louder and louder. Standing up from my cubicle to see what could be the cause, Eliza who has stood up before gasped dramatically. My heart skipped a beat but it seemed to be doing that a lot these days.

When my eyes met with his, I almost died. They were lethal and angry, he's always looked calm and indifferent but now they just held anger. Did he already know I was here? He eyes bored into mine and I broke the stare. Maybe he didn't recognize me after all, that's a good thing.

"Kathy, he looks familiar right?" Elizabeth asked and I shook my head, lying yet again.

"Nope, I don't know him."

"But he looks like that Italian boy back in school."

"All white people look the same."

"That's racist." She chided and I just snorted, if only she knew I deep in trouble I already was. I just hope and pray that he didn't recognize me.

When I dared to raise my head again, he was still looking at me. A tattoo peeked out of his neck, but I can't miss the picture even if I wanted to, it's so similar to the scorpion emblem I saw on the man. I staggered back, Elizabeth guided my fall. It was indeed him and I wasn't overthinking or anything. My goodness, did he recognize me?

"What's the matter?"

"Iokua," I muttered, pronouncing the name wrongly.

"I knew it was him. Iokua," she repeated also pronouncing the name wrongly. "He's changed so much."

"I know," I croaked, my voice getting tight with each word. Iokua has changed a lot.

"He's different too, where did all that timidness go?"

"I think he knows me."

"Oh come on, he can't possibly know you. It's been years now."

"He knows me, he's staring at us." She raised her head again and sure enough he was still staring.

"He can't possibly know it's you ...."

"I can't breathe, I can't breathe." I whispered desperate for air. And before she could do anything, I blanked.

***
"Miss Baker, Miss Baker." A voice called from a far distance, when I opened my eyes, blue eyes were staring back at me. The piercing gaze never wavered as I tried to recognize the person. Iokua, I almost fainted again.

"Where's Elizabeth?" I asked, trying to act ignorant, he knew of course that I knew him.

"Kathy, I know you know me." He confirmed.