Chapter 6.

I went to the work the next day, my eyes were swollen because I didn't sleep a wink the previous night. I barely acknowledged any of my colleagues. They were cheerful towards me but I just didn't have it in me. I managed a smile as I passed through each cubicle and they kept greeting.

"Katherine," I looked up to see Deji. Today, no power in me to even correct him, I just gave him a smile that didn't reach my eyes.

"Deji," I finally said.

"Why are you sad?" He asked, going straight to the point. The two of us have always had a love-hate relationship. Sometimes, he was a friend and at other times a jerk.

This morning I needed a friend, so I looked up at him and just shook my head. Inclining his head a little, he sat on the edge of my table.

"Elizabeth has been fired," I muttered quietly.

"Aw Kathy, I knew this new owner was up to something. He was staring way too much at you guys yesterday." He sympathized.

"And then she cheated on me."

"She'll be so sad, your..." he continued, not yet processing my last words. "What the fuck did you just say?" I nodded my head as the tears rolled down my cheeks. She was my only friend, if I didn't talk to someone right now I might just go crazy.

Heads turned to our direction and he just gave them all a hard look, daring the prying eyes to say something. I wanted to yell, but I didn't want the attention to be on me. I wanted to thank Iokua for firing her, nit because he fired her but at least I wouldn't have to face her anytime soon. Some things happen so fast, that you feel left out.

"With Caleb." I finished, what's the worst that could happen now? He knew everything already.

"That fucking bastard, I'm going to fucking kill him. He's going to regret it." He got up and grabbed his keys from the near by table.

"Please don't go."

I was expecting him to say something like, I knew he didn't deserve you or you should have just accepted my advances or anything near mockery because I was expecting people to make fun of me for my stupid choices and my ill luck. How can one person's life be falling apart this rapidly?

"What do you want me to do?" He whisper yelled, making sure not to draw our co workers attentions again. "If he couldn't keep his dick in his pants, it could have anywhere else except your best friend. I feel like killing him to be honest with you."

"I wasn't expecting you to be so angry," I confessed, sniffling a little. At least someone cared, hopefully it was genuine this time. I wouldn't be able to handle more heartbreak at this point.

"Kathy honey, put aside all the teasing now, I genuinely like you." I sighed. "No, please don't think like that. You're amazing and the more I think about it, the more I realize I should just stick to teasing you. I can't be good enough for you, no one can be."

"I might just think I'm an angel," I smiled a little, taking his hand.

"Maybe you are, and I hope that you get someone better than that community dick."

"Thank you so much, you took out the anger for me."

"You're welcome, but I'll still punch him if we ever cross paths." He blew on his closed fist. 

"Oh yes please." I consented, making him pull my cheeks. Yep, the jerk was officially back.

"Have a drink with me."

"Uh..."

"Don't think too much Kathy. It's not like that, just drinks. Would you rather sit with a tub of ice cream while they enjoy their lives with each other?" I shook my head. "They knew what they were doing when they both collectively decided to hurt you."