Chapter 2

"What are you doing?" Eliza screamed. I just rolled my eyes and continued typing rapidly on my computer. This girl wanted me fired by all means, because why would she leave her own work and come and disturb me at mine?

"I'm not a statue," she said again.

"Oh, I was really trying to think you're one maybe then you would leave me alone." I snapped in annoyance.

"Fuck you." She cursed, and I rolled my eyes.

"Excuse me because I want to work. If I get fired, I'll come and live in your house forever because I'm not finding another job." I shooed her away from one of the files I'm currently looking at. If she messed things up here, I'll make her rearrange everything while threatening to hit her with my shoes.

"Now I want you to get fired." She joked.

"You know living with you means my father will come as well." I pointed out as a joke, I wondered if father even recognizes her.

"Keep your job girl. I don't want no alcoholic on my property." She waved her hand with a laugh and then it dawned on her. "Oh fuck, I shouldn't have said that."

"It's okay." I muttered, even though it wasn't okay but still, what to do? She was just being honest. She laughed but it was so fake, it was just embarrassing.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to say that." She meant to say that, we've been friends for like forever now and I knew very well she meant to say that.

"There's no need to apologize, it's not like he's not an alcoholic," it pained me to say that out loud.

"Just leave that house. You can stay with me until you get back on your feet." She offered for the billionth time and I gracefully declined every time. I can't stay with her, she has a live-in boyfriend and two sisters who don't have filters like her.

"I.." I trailed off, not knowing what to say back to her. I wanted to leave of course. But I just haven't, not yet. I have a job but costs of living is insanely high in cities like this one. And he's barely ever home. Just drinks his life away every time and say hurtful words. I don't have to talk to him or see him either. And Eliza and I know very well that we can't be in the same place for too long, she loves me and I love her too but she can be overbearing, when she wanted to be, she could be no less than my father. Not exactly the type of person I want to move in with.

"I'll just go." I nodded wistfully and sent a small smile her way. She smoothed out her silk shirt and sauntered off to her cubicle.

We both worked in an advertising company, she worked for the public relations and I worked for the media. It's a fun job and it pays well.

"Hey Katherine," Deji drawled and I looked up at the fair skinned annoying but pretty cute co-worker of mine. I smiled tightly, raising my head from my computer to look at him, I could be sleeping and would recognize that voice anywhere and besides, he always get my name wrong.

"I've told you many times Deji, my name's Kathy." I corrected.

"Abeg jor, Kathy, Katherine, it's the same." He slapped my shoulder lightly and I held my pen in a vice like grip, afraid I would sucker punch him in his guts. Why did I not do a background check on the coworkers you can possibly have? Like if they need help?

"But my name's Kathy." I spoke through gritted teeth.

"Yeah yeah." He waved a hand, rudely dismissing me. "But will you go out with me? Lunch?" He asked and I gave him a tight smile.

"You're relentless," I grumbled, "you can't even get my name right and you want me to go out with you?" I asked, daring him to say something stupid.

"Kathy darling, it won't matter once I get to know you." I shook my head. Oh my God, did someone not teach this boy anything?