𝖊𝖑𝖑𝖎𝖊

𝖓𝖆𝖒𝖊: Eleanor Greene

𝖇𝖎𝖗𝖙𝖍 𝖉𝖆𝖙𝖊: Nov. 8, 2003

𝖘𝖙𝖆𝖙𝖚𝖘: Alive

daddy always says we have our own jobs to do

i just don't see how it's fair that i have to shuck the corn.

"this is too much," i complain, looking up to mama.

"sorry, darling," she teases, poking my nose.

i huff out a breath, picking up another ear of corn. my nose scrunches as i grab the tip-top, ripping the green part down.

"annette?" daddy calls from the stairs.

"here, hershel!" she answers, taking one of the ears to begin washing it off.

"have you seen bethy?"

"she went with patricia to feed to chickens. she said she can handle it and wouldn't take no for an answer."

"she hasn't finished her homework.."

"is sissy in trouble?" i wonder.

"she's just being messy," mama assures. "like you. put the husks in the bucket, now."

i turn my head, looking at the mess i've made on the floor.

"daddy?" 

i slump, dreading the arrival of my eldest sister.

"yes, maggie?" daddy asks.

"do you have my car keys?"

"i don't."

maggie groans, picking her purse up from the kitchen table as she walks through.

"maybe if you weren't out all night-"

"don't start," maggie cuts daddy off. "i was just out with some friends. don't jump down my throat."

"and you came home smelling like miller-"

"ellie," mama calls. "baby, why don't you go grab the next bucket of corn from the backyard?"

"i am twenty-one. if i want to go out and have some drinks with my friends, i can. it's not like i brought it into the house. i still abide by your 'rules'."

the conversation fades as i step outside, mama closes the door behind me and cuts the sound off completely.

i kick a rock. maggie was always getting into some kind of trouble. last year, she ran over her ex-boyfriend's car with daddy's tractor. everyone says she's lucky he didn't press charges on her or else she'd be 'behind bars'.

honestly, that was the one time i actually kind of liked her.

maybe that night, when she smiled at me and gave me a high five after i told her it was cool.. 

maybe that was the one time she actually liked me.