𝟬𝟭𝟯 starting with the basics

Start from the beginning

    Skylar sat at the dining table inside the Diaz's household. Miguel and Skylar sat next to each other as Carmen and Rosa sat around. Johnny was making dinner for the family and Miguel had invited his girlfriend over. As Johnny was placing the food down on the table, the couple had their hands clasped together under the furniture, "dinner is served. Alright, tonight's main course is fajitas and grilled vegetables. I have pico de gallo and corn and flour tortillas."

    Carmen had a huge grin on her face, "wow. This looks delicious, Johnny," The blond man sat down, unscrewing the cap of the cola bottle he held, "thanks. I got the recipe off the Chili's website. I wanted it to be authentic."

    "¿Auténtico para quién? Somos Ecuatorianos, no Mexicanos," Rosa snickered, glancing at her daughter who chuckled with her, "mama," Johnny cut them off, holding a bottle of mango salsa, "here, try this. Spicy mango. Just like the old country."

    As Johnny poured the mixture onto Rosa's plate, it came out chunky and Skylar had a slight grimace meet with her face. Rosa held her hand out and said, "uh, gracias," The redhead on the table had to control herself with her laugh. Carmen spoke up, "so how was the big first day?" She asked, referring to the first karate lesson with Eagle-Fang and Miyagi-Do combined.

    Skylar hadn't gone to the lesson today as her mother was still worried but promised she would be able to go tomorrow. The bruise that stained her cheek was slightly more faded, yet still visible. She wasn't limping like she was after the fight, only here and there when she felt the pain course through her body.

    "Uh, you know, it's the first day. Work in progress," Johnny answered, and Miguel nodded side-glancing over to Skylar who gazed at Carmen when she spoke. It was a thing that Skylar did often which Miguel noticed. Whenever someone would speak, Skylar made sure she was looking at the person as a sign of respect, "I'm happy you and Daniel are working together. I just want to make sure Miggy's safe and Sky now that she's joining."

    Miguel shrugged, "I said that my back's in better shape than ever, okay? You don't have to worry," Skylar nodded, switching her gaze from Miguel to his mother as she spoke directly to the woman, "yeah, and I have Johnny and Miguel to keep me safe."

    Johnny asserted, "she's your mom and future mother-in-law, she's always going to worry," Skylar almost choked at how Johnny referred Carmen to Skylar. Mother-in-law. Skylar knew that she would always want to be with Miguel but never gave much thought to the future. Not with the certain conditions she endured, "but don't worry, I'm watching both of them."

    "Entonces, Miguel, dime, ¿cómo te gusta hacer karate ahora que tu novia lo hace contigo?" Rosa asked, glancing knowingly at the boy. Miguel didn't notice the raised brows his mother passed over to him, and neither did Skylar. The redhead didn't even know they were talking about her as she enjoyed her food, "¿Ustedes van a disfrutar de un montón de ahorro uno a uno?"

    Miguel gleamed. When he told his family about the relationship that blossomed between the two, they couldn't have been happier. Johnny was hesitant, telling the boy to not let it distract him from his training like before. But, honestly, the blond man was joyful that the two had found each other. They both brought the best out of each other, "I'm happy that you and Skylar are together," Carmen said.

    The redhead furrowed her brows at the sudden statement but nodded otherwise. Miguel peered over to Skylar who was already looking at the Diaz boy, and they gave a passionate smile to one another. Miguel switched his glance to his Sensei, "well, I'm not the only one who's hoping in a relationship, huh, sensei?"