"You're welcome," she replied, smiling, and returned to typing. I glanced over her laptop and saw that she was struggling to code something, so I focused on what she did and noticed the mistake holding her back. "Damn it, what am I doing wrong?" she murmured, and I chuckled, remembering my coding days.

"May I?" I asked, and she hesitantly handed me her device. "You see, you added a dot here instead of a comma."

Her eyes widened at the minor error, and she slammed her head on the seat. "What the heck? I have been trying to solve it for two hours, and this is it?" She sighed as she fixed it. "I want to quit computer science. It's difficult, and I am indeed a failure, not cut for this challenge! I wanted to prove to my parents that I was more than just a housewife ready to give birth to many kids, but I guess they were right. It's better to stay at home and learn how to cook."

Her words triggered me because she was diminishing her spirit as a female and a human being. There was nothing wrong with being a housewife and a mother, but that was if the woman wanted this life, not forced upon her by previous generations and social expectations. "No, don't give up. Your eyes will get used to catching minor errors like these. You are just inexperienced. Time will teach you how to be patient with your progress because progress is bound to happen, one way or another. You are not a failure. Don't even think in such a manner again. You will achieve what you want if you just keep going."

"How do you know that? You seem young yourself, aren't you 19 as well?"

I smiled. "No, thanks for the compliment. I am 27 and have been through a lot of hardship in my life to get to where I am today."

"And where are you today, if you don't mind me asking?"

I nodded and looked out the window for a second. Workers in yellow clothes were preparing the runway. "I am the CEO of Hansley's Watches, and I have been through hell and back. I heard many inappropriate and discouraging comments along my journey just because I was a female fighting my battles in a male-dominated field, yet my motivation to succeed never weakened. On the contrary, the offensive remarks fueled my anger and will to be the best," I explained, and she smiled. "Based on my personal opinion, I am the best today at what I do. After all, it's all about perspective."

"Wow, I bought my mom a watch for her birthday from one of your branches. You are an inspiring role model, really! What is your name? Mine is Diana, and I study in Sicily. I have two years left to finish my degree."

"My name is Jolene, and I am going on my long-awaited vacation." A simple lie would not hurt Diana. It could only protect her. I did not want to involve innocent people in my complex life since Atlas was unpredictable.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. We are about to take off. Please follow the flight attendants' instructions and fasten your seatbelts. I hope you enjoy the ride and have a comfortable flight." The pilot said through the intercom, and I confirmed that my seatbelt was secure. Dario better be waiting for me when we land.

~~~

"It was nice meeting you, Jolene. Bye," Diana said as she found her luggage.

"You too, and good luck in your studies. Remember, don't you ever give up and prove them wrong!" I hugged her and finally spotted my suitcases. I grabbed them and walked out of the airport.

The cold air hit my face, and I felt refreshed. I looked around but saw no one holding a sign with my name. So, I texted dad, sat on the bench, and waited. "Ciao, Bellissima!" I heard an old man say next to me, but I ignored him, thinking he was talking to someone else. "You, the lady with the red coat. Sto parlando con te!"

I finally realized I was the lady with the red coat and smiled. "Non parlo Italiano, I am sorry," I said as I shifted in my place. Was he Dario? I thought he was younger. But again, he would have introduced himself by now. No?

"No problema. I can speak English; how do you feel about going on a date with me, Belle?"

"I preferred when I didn't understand what you said. No, thank you. I am waiting for someone. So leave me be, please." My tone was friendly, but he tested his luck with each passing second. The man looked old enough to be my grandpa. Was human decency gone in Sicily? I knew not everyone was like that, but I could not help but assume. Assumptions could often lead to huge misunderstandings, yet I did not care as he was invading my personal space.

The old man grinned, leaned down, and grabbed my right arm. "We can wait together over there and have fun. Let's go." He forced me to stand up, and I cursed under my breath. First impression of this country? Not the best.

"I said no! Let go of my arm now, or I will call the police." I raised my tone, indicating that I was angry; still, he did not budge. He held tighter and smirked. "Okay, fine. You asked for it." I placed my right foot in front of his feet, grabbed his left arm, and twisted his whole body above my head. I heard the satisfying crash on the ground, and I smiled. As I was about to dive in for a punch, a voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Nonno! Jolene!"

I looked behind me and saw a younger man, probably around my age, looking stunned at the scene unfolding before him. "Dario, il mio nipote preferito, tell her I was joking and mean no harm!" the old man yelled as he struggled to get out of my grip.

"Grandpa, stop lying. I know I am not your favorite grandson. Besides, you reap what you sow." 

~~~

04.10.2022

Vote and comment :) 

Your opinions matter to me!