While he enjoyed fantasising about such an accomplishment, Wes couldn't help but feel anxious. If he failed or his experiment didn't work, it would mean another trip back to the drawing board.

There was a soft chime at the door to his bedroom.

A moment later, Beverly poked her head.

Beverly spied the tablet and textbooks splayed out all over the bed. There was a hyperspanner on the floor and the schematics of an engineering project that half-covered her son.

She realised he had fallen asleep working.

Again.

"You're going to be late," Beverly said.

-X-

Wes scrambled to get ready – knocking over his biology homework on the way to the shower. The two minutes it took for the garment reprocessor to steam his grey jumpsuit.

"C'mon, c'mon," Wes said, tapping his foot.

The light shifted from red to green.

Cooling. The computer advised.

But Wes didn't have time.

He pulled open the access panel and steam rolled out. Wes hissed as he grabbed his clothes. Normally Wesley would have taken care of such preparations the night before. But he was so excited for his project that his entire focus had been on rehearsing his presentation.

After a hasty morning routine, Wes rushed out the door with a croissant in hand.

"Do you want me to bring something down to the lab? You need to eat," Beverly said.

"No time, mum!" Wes said, racing out the door.

Beverly just shook her head as she sipped her tea.

In so many ways, Wesley was like his father. But when it came to his insatiable tenacity to tackle a project – that was all Beverly.

-X-

"Complete biometric fusion," Wes said.

He frowned and shook his head.

"Total biometric fusion," Wes said, trying a new phrase.

He closed his eyes and grumbled. 'Total' didn't sound right either. It didn't quite strike the tone he was hoping for.

"A fusion of biology and nanotechnology that will revolutionise the way we argh!" Wes groaned.

"You alright?" Will Riker asked.

Wes froze. His face flushed with embarrassment at having been caught. Wesley had been so preoccupied that he hadn't even bothered to notice anyone else on the lift.

"Fine, sir," Wes said, clearing his throat.

The lift ground to a halt on deck eleven.

"Break a leg," Riker said.

Wesley blanched. The whole point of his research was to save people from such a fate.

"Go get 'em, tiger," Riker winked.

The two men stepped off the lift. Wes went on ahead while Commander Riker waited outside in the corridor.

"How's our boy?" Geordi said as he approached Commander Riker.

"Bright eyed and bushy tailed," Riker replied.

-X-

"You are up," Data remarked with surprise.