Oct 3, 2022: Five-Year Wattpad Anniversary Special: My Book Playlists

Wow, friends, it's been a wild five years. Since joining Wattpad, I've gone from a novice to an actual professional author, from a community participant to a community organizer, and from four and a half books to more than twenty-five. In celebration, I wanted to share a little something that I've had behind the scenes for almost as long as I've been writing, but have never thought to share: my book playlists.

I write to music. That's putting it gently, really: I collect songs that I listen to on repeat, sometimes for months, while writing any given book of mine. I hoard them all in one of the oldest documents on my google drive. Many of these songs pair so strongly with a book that I can't ever pair them with another again, or listen to them without thinking of that story... it's the most amazing hit of nostalgia if/when I ever go back to read and/or edit these books while playing the music I wrote them to.

Some books collect more songs than others, but almost every single story of mine has at least a handful of musical compositions tacked to it in my brain. Here they are!

Frost on the Grasslands

None! This was the first book I ever wrote, and I didn't have much way of accessing personal music at the time. I wrote it by hand, didn't have much internet access, and didn't get an ipod until the following year. As such, this book was written in silence.

Storm Season

The Sorrow of the Elves (Heather Dale)

Three Fishers (Stan Rogers)

Tallulah (Sonata Arctica)

Breath of Heaven - Mary's Song (Amy Grant)

Sixteen Moons

My Kind of Love (Emeli Sande)

Read All About It (Emeli Sande)

How Far I'll Go (Moana)

Song of the Ancestors (Moana)

Opetaia Foa'i (Moana)

Let Me In (Snowmine)

Under Paw

Derniere Danse (Indila)

Love Story (Indila)

Here Without You (3 Doors Down)

Already Gone (Sleeping At Last)

Pyramid (Jason Webley)

Firefly

Tourner Dans Le Vide (Indila)

Sing to the Moon (Laura Mvula)

Erev Shel Shoshanim (Messiah College Concert Choir)

Yellow Flicker Beat (Lorde)

Song of Durin (Clamavi de Profundis)

Fear Not This Night (Clamavi de Profundis)

Dark Night Fall

Song of Durin (Clamavi de Profundis)

Fear Not This Night (Clamavi de Profundis)

Lemon Boy (Cavetown)

Sail (Awolnation)

Dreamcatcher

Yes, there are Christmas songs on this list. No, this book was not written during or even near Christmas. The culprit is the first song on this list, which had the exact vibe I was looking for, and led to the rest by extension. I now associate several Christmas songs with Steampunk airships, though it takes a particular musical style to qualify... yes, my brain is weird like that!