Feb 2, 2022: N/ONC HYPE SQUAD

I started to roll this into my February roundup, then realized that my ONC announcements really are their own thing and deserve their own chapter, haha. And so, I come bearing an ONC-participation update, a novella, and a game plan for the weeks ahead!

So, Wattpad withdrew the problematic ONC rules at the end of January, and reverted the contest to last year's rules instead. However, they have (still) neither owned up to the original legal language, nor made it explicit in the new rules that winners in the contest will keep their rights. I also feel very weird about them publicly pinning fault on the Wattpad ambassadors when the rights clauses originated from Wattpad stepping up as a sponsor.

Both this admission and clarity are things I want to see before rejoining the contest, on principle as well as for reassurance's sake. And so my decision not to enter the ONC still stands—for now.

Has that stopped me from starting a novella in parallel with the contest, or diving headfirst into ONC-related hype and festivities? Not in the slightest.

There's no typo in the title of this update, nor in the titles of my newest book teaser or reading list. #NONC2022 is a community-run novella festival that loosely follows the prompts and milestones of the ONC, but leaves the rest up to participants: submission to the ONC itself is not required, and nor is posting to Wattpad, recognizably following the prompts, or finishing on time. You'll probably see this tag popping up all over my profile in the coming months—I'm helping run the festival ✨

I'm also writing a novella for it. Thistle in the Sky is a tropical Steampunk Thriller whose first chapter will go live as soon as it's written. It's in the planning stages right now! Once I have enough chapters to give myself a bit of a buffer, the novella will update weekly until completion, barring speed-updates at the end if I do end up entering in the ONC.

Stay tuned!