Jul 1, 2022: Elizabeth Made Me Do It

It is almost July Camp NaNo, and I may or may not have set myself a 100k goal for the month.

Again.

And it's totally not my fault, so blame authorelizasolares for this, kthxbai!

(Love yah, Elizabeth 💖 )

In a move that should surprise no one, this was actually my fault. Elizabeth is a great writer-friend of mine, and also my clone in opposite genres: she writes sweet Romance, I write Horror, but other than that, we're the same person. Literally; it's actually a little terrifying. Also, her books are awesome, so if her genre is your jam, go check them out? It will be worth your time, and she has lots of them! Y'know, us being clones and all that.

Anyway, back to Camp NaNo. When I expected Elizabeth to talk me down from making questionable decisions regarding this month's resident writing challenge, I really should have foreseen the outcome. We debated back and forth for a while, compared the relative merits of differently-sized goals, mused over our yearly wordcounts, and fenced with the temptation to do something crazy for Camp. As one does. And because we are both a terrible influence when it comes to writing, we both ended up with 100k goals, titled them weird things, and blamed them on each other.

(Get yourself a writer-friend who enables your chaos, y'all. Mutual corruption is far more fun than devolving into this kind of thing on your own)

Long story short, that is how I ended up committing to the same thing I accomplished in April 2021 and beat in July that same year, and it's going to be great! I say that unironically. Among my current writing deadlines are finishing Red Rover by August 1st (if you don't recognize the book name, stay tuned for my next roundup) and building back my buffer on Song of the Deep before August 10th, when it's due to run out. The former those will take some 45k words, which really doesn't leave much space for the latter in a smaller goal. And obviously there are no numbers between 50k and 100k, so it's go big or go home.

(Half joking)

Mega goals light a fire under me and dial up my productivity, so I actually like them a lot. Both my priority WIPs write quickly, especially under pressure. And with five WIPs in total, this should be a breeze... or at least my most productive month since January!