3 - Trip to the ER

*Mia's pov*

A/n
Just wanted to tell you that a part of the chapter mentions blood. You will see ~~~ once that part begins and again when it ends!

Another day in snowy Boston, too bad I've been inside the whole day and it's now 5 pm, that means the sun is going down already.
I've been working since 8 this morning at the hospital and my shift will end in an hour.
"Thanks nurse Mia, you are the best nurse I've ever had"
"You are very welcome Jackie" I say smiling at her.
Jackie is an old woman that unfortunately has constantly been in and out the hospital for the past three years, but still she's kind to everyone and she hasn't lost her smile.
It's when I've got patients like this that my day brightens a little, because after all they have gone through they are still capable of smiling and making you smile.
"Mia, you have a little girl to check, the doctor gave her head a scan after a fall and she's ready for you to bandage her up"
"Ok, I'll be right there!"
"Thank you!"
I walk the short distance to where the little girl has been placed, pulling back the light blue curtain I see the cutest little face of my now favorite two year old, stained with tears
"Sshh baby, it's ok. Daddy's got you" he says kissing her head softly
"Well hello neighbor"
"Mia, hi!"
"Hi. What brings you here sweetie" I ask Grace but she keeps crying
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"We were playing in the snow, she slipped and fell and her head hit something on the ground. I was worried when I saw blood and it wasn't stopping so I brought her to the ER"
"You did a good thing, always best to check"
"I don't know how I let it happen, I mean I was right there"
"Chris," I say putting my hand on his shoulder trying to comfort him "it's not your fault, stop thinking like that. Now, shall we see this little cut?"
After putting on gloves I carefully move her hair out of her face so I can see the cut she has on the forehead.
"Does it need stitches?" Chris asks
"Luckily no, it's not that deep. Cuts on the head bleed a lot, but not always because they are deep. We just need to put this little strips over it" I tell them while I get the box with the strips "what color do you want Grace?"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"This"
"Pink?"
"Yeah"
"Pink it is!"
After disinfect it I gently place a couple of strips over the cut and kiss her head softly
"All done, you are such a brave little girl"
"Thank you Mia" Chris says standing up with his daughter in his embrace
"Just doing my job. She might get a little headache, but nothing a good nap can't fix. Once I'm done here I'll bring you more strips and ointment for it"
"Can I repay you with a homemade dinner?"
"Why not, I'll see you both later"
Walking away still facing then I blow Grace a kiss and she finally smiles at me.

"So...you know them?" Brian my colleague asks
"Chris is my neighbor and that's her daughter"
"She's so cute"
"She is and she loves to play in the snow but today she slipped and fell..."
"Poor baby, thank god she had Nurse Mia to take care of her!"
"Don't tell anyone...that girl is the sweetest human"
"Her father isn't?!"
"Shut up a Brian"
"Just saying...I mean I would totally be with him...to bad he is straight and I'm not!"
"Whatever! See you tomorrow"
"Bye!"

I walk in the changing room and get my scrubs off, replacing it with black jeans and the comfiest sweater I could find in the wardrobe this morning.
Saying bye to all my colleagues, I drive home with the little care package for Grace.

"Hello Gracie, how are you?" I ask her once Chris let me in
"Better"
"I'm happy you feel better" I say kissing her head "what is daddy making for dinner?"
"Mac and cheese!"
"Oh I love it!"
I play with her while we wait for dinner to be ready and once sat at the table everyone eats in silence.

"Just put this ointment on the cut whenever you change the strips, I'd say at least twice a day for the next four five days"
"Got it. Are you sleepy baby girl?" Chris asks his daughter
She nods at him, so he picks her up and tells me he'll be right back.
In the meantime i wash the dishes an pan we used and clean up his kitchen.
Ten minutes later he comes back and looks at me
"You really didn't have to" he tells me grabbing the towel from me and hanging it where it belongs, then taking my hand in his leading me on the couch.
"You cooked me dinner..."
"And you bandaged my child's head..."
"You are impossible Evans"
"And so are you Williams"
We watch some tv enjoying each other presence and then I ask i hi I'm a few things
"Don't want to intrude but..."
"Where's her mother?"
"You don't have to answer"
"No, you need to now, we are friends so...Grace mom decided she wanted a kid and asked me if I was on board. Of course I was, I always wanted a family. So we tried and she got pregnant with her, when the time had come, walking into the delivery room she told me that she didn't want our child anymore. The world collapsed on me and I just stared at her and told her to give birth and that she didn't need to worry, that I would take care of my little girl alone"
"Chris..."
"And so I did. She birthed her and signed a few things that basically affirm that she can't be her tutor or something. That's it. I was crushed when she told me that but when I looked into Gracie's eyes my heart was full of the love I felt for my little girl, of course the first couple of months weren't easy but my family always got my back, and here I am today"
"With the cutest little girl" I say
"I would change it for the world"
"I bet! You are a good father Chris"
"Trying my best. Anyway, let's talk about something else yeah?"
"Sure! Christmas?"
"That's good. Do you have a tree? Mia and I usually decorate it on the night of the 24th"
"I have a very little tree, but I guess for this year it will work, you got a big one?"
"It's not big big, but not very little. Would you like to help us decorate it? If you don't have nothing better to do of course, I hope you don't have to work that night"
"I'm free and I'd love to help you guys. Actually I will be going back to o work the 27th"
"That's good, wait till grace hears you will be spending Christmas Eve decorating our tree!"

And so the night ended with us talking about all the family traditions, around midnight I went back to my house and as soon as I touched the bed I fell asleep.

A/n
Hope you like it!!!❤️