Michonne laughs with us while I shake my head, smirking at Charlee's words. I can't argue with that.

Daryl's Georgian blue eyes meet mine at the sound of my voice carrying through the air. I nod, leading Charlee through the crowd of onlookers. We take the stairs, leaning over the railing, watching everyone for only a few minutes. Growing tired, I face my best friend, "I'll show you to your room. It's getting late, Char." She agrees, following me as I lead her through the maze of rooms.

" She agrees, following me as I lead her through the maze of rooms

I'm inside the nursery, frowning. I reach into Kellin's crib, gripping his small white snowy owl stuffed animal. I gifted my son with the same one Daryl gave me at the prison before I fell under the sickness. I miss my children already, but they need as many bodies as they can get on the field tomorrow. I keep reminding myself that it's only a few days until I can return to them.

I hope it's only a few days, I grown inwardly. Things have been going too well with the communities over the last year. It's only a matter of time before something happens, causing all of this to crash to the ground. 

"There you are." I peer over my shoulder, seeing Rick cross his arms, leaning against the doorframe. "Why aren't you resting for tomorrow?"

I shrug, "I don't think I've truly rested since we came here." I return the owl, turning my body towards Officer Friendly, placing my back against the crib, giving him my full attention. My hands seek out the wood along the crib frame.

He nods, "Daryl said you two are unhappy here."

I smirk, feeling a rush of mixed emotions. "Yeah," is all I offer.

"You know, he also said you two haven't been getting along." I chew on my lip, not willing to give my answer. It doesn't hinder our ability to monitor this community. "I think he misses the small group we had at the beginning. He mentioned we could have done anything and now we are all scattered."

"You know, he's right. It was simple. But you brought everyone together. You did this. I'm proud of you. We don't always agree, but I never had an issue being under your leadership."

I watch as he glances around the room, considering my words, "I'm proud of you, too. I see you standing before me, a wife and a mother. You're far from that girl we encountered in the woods. I barely recognize you. I'm glad you joined us." His eyes survey my face, "I'm glad you stayed. I know you considered leaving at the farm. You and Daryl okay?" He suddenly asks.

I run a nervous hand along my pants, uncomfortable at the sudden change of subject. "It's about the same as it has been for the last year."

"You two will be alright. Parenthood changes a lot, too."  Hs eyes land on Caroline's crib. I watch as he starts to scrutinise a picture of the twins and I that Wren had taken the day before I returned to Daryl's side. "Motherhood looks good on you, Vanessa." He grins, looking behind him as if he hears someones approach.

Carol seemingly appears from behind Rick, smiling. "I spoke with Daryl. You two are off the hook here for awhile. He wanted me to let you know that you two are leaving with Rick and Michonne first thing in the morning." Her eyes find Rick, "I'm staying here."

I close my eyes, feeling relief spiral around me. "Thank you," I breathe out. When this bridge is repaired, I can return to Alexandria instead of here.

Rick peers between the two of us, "We are going to Hilltop tomorrow."

My face falls at the words, "I can help set up the -" Maggie isn't going to let me walk through the gate. 

Rick shakes his head, "nah, I'll talk to Maggie. Get some rest. We are all going to need it."

"