49

TUDOR HOTEL, NEW YORK

16 October 2000 - 9.00 a.m.

GABRIEL awoke from sleep. He rubbed his eyes. Bewildered at what he saw. Or rather, at what he did not see. Hilman was not in his bed. Gabriel turned on the light on the table that separated the two single beds. Indeed, there was no Hilman. He glanced at Daljit who slept on the floor, his body covered by a towel he used in place of a blanket. Last night, he was compelled to surrender the bed next to the window to Hilman. 

Gabriel quickly got out of bed. He rushed to the bathroom. Hilman wasn't there, too. He rushed out again and turned all the lights on. It was then that he saw the letters folded nicely and laid on the table next to the television. The letters were each addressed to himself, Daljit, and Miss Angel. 

Gabriel opened the letter with his name written on it. Between the folds was a pin. Gabriel sighed, disappointedly. Apparently, Hilman had located the homing device that he had secretly inserted between the treads on one of Hilman's shoes. Hilman was indeed smart and cautious, Gabriel whispered to himself. Seconds later, he was reading the neatly written letter. 

Gabriel,

Thanks for your help all this while. But, still, I have to go. There's something personal that I need to take care of. I don't want to get you in trouble because of me. By the way, you're still an efficient agent. Forgive me for doing this to you.

Ready to serve!

Hilman

Gabriel folded the letter back. He sat on the bed's edge. There goes his plan to bring Hilman out of the country. Gabriel thought for a while as a thousand questions assaulted his mind. Finally, he guessed something. Something that Hilman would do. 

Gabriel stood and woke Daljit up. His friend protested and went back to sleep. Gabriel continued to shake Daljit on the shoulder. 

"Daljit... Hilman's gone!"

Daljit awoke as though he was jolted by a kilowatt of electricity. Nevertheless, his eyes remained closed. Slowly, he opened them. 

Gabriel took the letter with Daljit's name written on it. He passed the letter to his friend. 

"Hilman wrote this letter for you," he said. 

Daljit opened the letter. USD 200 dropped from between the folds. Daljit looked surprised as he picked the dollar notes off the floor. He read the letter. 

Daljit,

Thanks for your help. Thank you for the troubles you went through. Here's the USD 200 you lent me. You're a perceptive journalist. Please write for the sake of truth. Never manipulate the facts for the facts are the truth. 

Malaysia can!

Hilman

Daljit inhaled at length as he folded the letter back. He stared at the USD 200. "I've already forgotten about this money. I know, Hilman... you're in trouble now," he whispered. Suddenly he felt sad.

Gabriel grabbed the telephone and dialed Mia Sara's room. Mia Sara answered his call almost immediately. Her voice was a little coarse. 

"What time were you up?" Gabriel asked. 

"About six," Mia Sara replied. 

"I'm sorry about last night," Gabriel apologized. 

"It's alright. Small matter," Mia Sara said. 

"Sara... err..." Gabriel was unsure how to tell her. 

"Gabriel, I've thought about it carefully. You were right. I would've purposely put Hilman in prison." Mia Sara sighed. "I think it'd be better if you take Hilman out to Mexico and return to Malaysia," she said.