xxxii

╔.𖥸. .════════════════╗

𝗖𝗟𝗔𝗥𝗜𝗧𝗬

chapter thirty-twothere to catch her

chapter thirty-two
there to catch her

╚════════════════. .❀.╝

"ROBBY KEENE IS ahead one-nothing as he and Demetri Alexopoulos battle it out for a trip to the finals," Daryl announced.

Alyssa could hardly focus on the fight between Demetri and Robby. Her eyes kept trailing back to the doors Miguel disappeared into, wanting nothing more than to run back there and make sure he was okay to calm her racing mind. With a struggle, she managed to blink and come back to reality, only to see Demetri jogging back over to them. Robby had evidently scored another point, and he needed one more to win.

Sensei LaRusso clapped. "All right."

Demetri breathed heavily, his hands placed on his knees. "I had it hard beating him when he was on the good side of the force. Now that he's gone all Sith, I feel like a helpless Jedi youngling about to get slaughtered."

"Okay, well, you're taller," Eli cut in. "You have the high ground. That's how Obi-Wan beat Anakin, right?"

"All right, just remember your fundamentals, Demetri," Sensei LaRusso instructed. "Breathe in, breathe out, breathe through. You got this. Come on, Demetri."

Alyssa extended her fist to him. "May the odds be ever in your favor."

Demetri bumped his fist against hers, but then he blinked in confusion. "That's Hunger Games, Ally. Not Star Wars."

"You get the gist."

Demetri and Sensei LaRusso bowed to each other before he got back on the mat. Alyssa watched, fully aware now, at the fight. Demetri was doing amazing — it was clear all that training had paid off. However, in the end, Robby managed to get the point.

Alyssa glanced up at the scoreboard as Demetri walked over to them. Robby was going to the finals, and considering who won the next fight, either Eli or Miguel would be going up against him.

"Okay, he's very good," Demetri said.

Sensei LaRusso nodded. "So are you."

Alyssa patted Demetri's shoulder. "You did great, Dem."

After one final girls' fight, the match was settled. It was Tory versus Sam for the finals — which, considering their whole history, was sure to be something. Yet they still needed to set the boys' final. Since Miguel had gotten hurt, they gave him half an hour. If he came back, he would fight Eli again to see who would make it. If he didn't, Eli would automatically be going in.

"Cobra Kai and Miyagi-Do are neck-and-neck on the leaderboard," Daryl said. "But there's a dark horse . . . or should I say a dark bird that still has a chance. Will Eagle Fang Karate stay alive in our dojo race? We're about to find out. Miguel Diaz has one minute to return to the mat!"