08 || The Old Man and His Mean Curveball

Loud screams from the Pledis High baseball field attracted peculiar looks from passing students as they made their way home. While those tired high school students anticipated the comforts of their own homes, the Pledis High baseball team cheered as they watched one of their own run the bases, setting a new time record for his baserun.

Among those who peered and stared at the jovial team from outside the fence surrounding the green field was Jeonghan. The dark haired senior stared as the new recruits on the team continued their laps, while the more experienced players began their passing drills.

He panned over to one of the more familiar faces and observed as Seokmin, who was right near the right outfield where Jeonghan was standing, got ready to receive a long pass coming from the other side of the field. He watched as Seokmin’s drill partner winded up his arm and then threw the ball, letting it fly right to where Seokmin stood, awaiting its arrival.

The sheer speed of the rushing baseball reminded Jeonghan about his past; When he was as passionate about the ball sport as the team standing on the field right before him. 

And while that time felt like it was long ago, Jeonghan remembered every single moment of his school baseball career from start to finish. He remembered every exact moment, and while it was delightful to think back to those times it also pained Jeonghan to even think about how he was just a pawn.

A wide eyed, younger version of Jeonghan eagerly rushed out of his middle school mathematics classroom after the final school bell had rang through the crowded building. He dashed out of the wide doors of the school building with his sports bag in one hand and school bag in his other. In a matter of a few minutes Jeonghan reached a black car already waiting in front of his school for him.

The young middle schooler greeted his chauffeur politely before asking about their destination. Jeonghan headed to the same place almost every day after school, so it was like clockwork for the driver to nod and answer Jeonghan’s questions with a smile. 

Silence filled the car as Jeonghan opened up his school bag and started working on his homework. Lately he hadn’t been doing too well because of the approaching baseball season ahead of him. It would be the first time Jeonghan would be able to actually play on an official school team, since he was in his first year of middle school, so the excited student spent all his time practicing.

When he wasn’t practicing, he was thinking about practicing. His parents heard all about how his grades had suffered because of the sport occupying his mind from his concerned teachers, although they didn’t penalize Jeonghan too harshly because of their knowledge on who his father was.

However, Jeonghan’s mother hadn’t been too pleased at all about her son’s decline in his academics. The middle schooler had been right there, listening from outside his parent’s bedroom as the two adults argued about Jeonghan’s obsession with baseball. Hearing his mother threaten to remove the sport from his life overall terrified Jeonghan, so the brunet decided to try to balance his work with practice. Therefore, Jeonghan made it a habit to complete his assignments in the backseat of the family car as their driver drove him to where his dad was. 

“Dad!” Jeonghan shouted as he ran onto the Seagulls’ home field. The rest of his dad’s team had disbursed and formed small groups on the sidelines on the field, likely making plans to go out drinking soon after they finished up at the field. Jeonghan’s father turned instantly when he heard his son calling and addressed the middle school by accepting his abrupt hug. “Are you and the team finished with practice yet?”

“You have perfect timing kiddo, because we all just happened to finish.” Wooseok smiled and ruffled his son’s hair as they separated from each other. The shining look in Jeonghan’s eyes told him all he needed to know. Today was one of those days where his son would stop at nothing to play on their field.