Chapter 2

I fluttered my eyes open and groaned since the mystery guest awoke me from my much needed rest.

"Did you try out for Janet?" Sean's voice asked me.

"Yes, I did. You tried out for Brad, didn't you?"

"Yeah, so I guess we'll be engaged, huh?" he chuckled and nudged my knee with his own. A foreign feeling of butterflies tickled my ribcage and my stomach lurched into my throat. I atempted to shake the feeling.

"For sure. We're the only two trying out for them," I confirmed. Silence hung in the air thickly. Sean wasn't one for silence, so he spoke again.

"Maybe we'll be in the same homeroom this year."

"We wouldn't hang out if we were," I reasoned.

"You're far too smart to be my friend?" he questioned with a mock offensive tone.

"No, you're to popular to be mine."

Sean was dumbfounded for a second, and I worried my words were too harsh.

"I'm sorry, Sean, I didn't-"

"No, it's okay. I was just looking for an appropriate, yet witty response and I've found nothing."

"I'm sorry. You're not too stupid to be my friend, Sean. You're very bright," I assured and peered over to Sean sporting a sad, half smile.

"Would you like to go to dinner?" he offered and I retracted a little. "Not a date! Just us gals," he joked, "going for some fast food. And tonight's the theatre party, so these drunks are going to need some cheeseburgers."

I laughed at the truth he spoke-Tyler hosted parties for our group frequently and we always snuck into his parents' bar. I felt sorry for Tyler. His parents' marriage had fallen apart, but they refused to get a divorce. He was home alone quite a lot since they kept themselves occupied with buisness trips to hide their issues.

Sean hopped to his feet and held out his hands for my support. It wasn't strange for us to leave together, we had been doing this our whole lives. Tyler called it "subconscious dating." Sean held the door for me leading to the bright, hot Californian sun.

I pushed white framed Ray•Bans up my nose and Sean placed his black pair on his face. I made my way to his Chevy pickup truck, which he took great pride in. Sean bubbly bounced into the driver's side and turned the key to let the radio blare on full volume.

"THIS GIRL IN ON FIRE!" he screeched in a high pitch tone as we pulled out of the parking lot.

"You are such a goofball," I laughed loudly.

"Don't hate me cause you ain't me, Alannah," Sean sassed with that slightly crooked smile of his.

"Can we listen to real music?" I groaned when Cher Lloyd whined through the radio.

"What would that be, Princess?"

I reached foward and shut the stereo off.

"You got an iPhone speaker for the car?"

"It's in the glove compartment," he announced.

I dug through the mess of top 40's CD's with a frown and scoff. My hand found the wire and I plugged it and my phone into the car. Scrolling through my music, I decided on Passenger. I bopped my head until the chorus.

"I see love, I see love when I close my eyes," I sang aloud.

"Can we listen to something fast please?" Sean pleaded and lowered the volume. I laughed and clicked on my Rizzle Kicks playlist.

"Wanted to be a fireman then I lost the desire man," I rapped.

Sean drummed the steering wheel. "Who is this?"

"Rizzle Kicks, bro. Harley and Jordan."

"They're fantastic," he proclaimed.

"Aren't they?"

We rode in silence for a little while before Sean pulled into an empty lot and laid his head on the steering wheel.

"Sean? Are you alright?"

"Do you want to get out of here? Like, now?" he asked me. "We could go to LA, blow off the party that we have every damn year. Just... Go?"

I bit my lip and thought it through. I nodded.

"Drive," I commanded and he shook his head in agreement. He stepped on the pedal, pulled backwards, and sped out onto the highway.

_____________________________

I'm sorry that I'm awful at updating when I say I will! But I hope this was okay?? Much love!!