Chapter 1

Maybe I should share more about how this group if misfits came to be.

Well, we all met as toddlers. We grew up in a small Californian town where our mothers belonged to a social group where they all brought their kids to run around and get injured while they gossiped about who was sleeping with their pool boy, or who had fled to Mexico after their husband almost lost their head from some failed mafia hit. They would sit at whomever's home that was worthy of being visited by guests-in a rich town like ours, kitchens were updated more frequently than a pool being installed-and let us run recklessly throughout living rooms, then backyards when we got too messy, and after Sean fell into Tyler's pool, they just let us have free roam of the neighborhoods. Few cars passed, and they ones who dared cross through our residential home moved slow and safely.

Years passed, and as our ages progressed, so did our personalities. Jamie became assertive, and somewhat agressive. Tyler realized that he was, in fact, gay and he became our cheerleader, making anyone smile. Elizabeth was absolutely obsessed with soccer and dance, and that held her back from many opportunities, like having a boyfriend. Hannah threw herself into fashion, leading to the design of her own junior prom gown. Cat and Charlie were identical twins who always tried to outshine the other with vocals, and Cat had learned to give in to Charlie. Falcon, Pat, and Sally were triplets who blended into the background more often than not.

That leaves Sean and I. Sean, with his big green eyes and short brown hair, was our comedian. He had big dreams of Hollywood, which he could certainly achieve, but I saw him more as an SNL cast member. Tyler swore we secretly loved each other, but I denied it. Perhaps there was a small flame hiding inside of me, but I knew Sean would never feel the same way, so what was the point? I was the caring shoulder to cry on. I was extremley loud and always huddled over a sketch book, so I was a mix of things. I wasn't even sure if I had a decided place in our group, but I didn't blend in.

In school, we branched out. Tyler and I stuck together as goofy mixes of all sorts, Pat and Elizabeth were jocks, Cat and Falcon goths, Jamie and Sally were totally preppy, Charlie and Hannah were artsy, and Sean was straight up popular. But every other weekend, and at least twice a week, we all came together. Weekends were dinners and mall visits, sometimes sleepovers. It was tradition.

But during the week? Those two days were cherished. They were our drama days. It was a sort of secret in the matter that nobody spoke of our meetings during school. We simply nodded and smiled at each other, sticking to our assigned status quo. Everyone knew we belonged to the theatre, but not a word was uttered outside of the auditorium. We didn't even belong to school theatre-Those kids were amateurs to us. Although we weren't professionals, we knew at least one of us would be. The level of unique talent throughout our clique was crazy. Some acted, some sang, some designed, and some took the bull by the horns and made us work. And that's what made us brilliant.

Back to our childhood traumas, our moms had gotten enough of our shenanigans at about age six. This was a year or two after the pool incident Sean found himself in. They signed us up for community theatre so they could meet up in peace, and we sang and danced like the babies we were. It wasn't anything special, just a group of unwanted kids screeching lyrics, but it sparked the desire of the arts into us. And that was the time we were branded with the title none of us asked for, but none of us didn't like.

We were theatre kids.

"Alannah, you're up," Jamie said, peeking her head out of the door. I gulped, realizing I was lost in my thoughts and didn't prepare. Sean shook my shoulders encouragingly.

"Good luck, Alannah!" He chirped earning a wink at me from Tyler. I smiled at Sean and filed into the small room. Auditions made me sick and I sped through Janet's monologue. I sang "Touch-a Touch-a Touch Me," took my thank yous and left as fast as I could. Tyler pushed past me to go into the room.

"Have fun," I sarcastically told him and he snorted. I sunk down against the wall and closed my eyes, feeling a body fall to sit next to me.

__________________________________

Enjoy everybody I hope you like it so far!