Chapter 3 - Everybody Knows

—————————

Chisato's Viewpoint

—————————

Chisato: One of them saved my life...

Gray: E-elaborate?

Chisato: Please sit down for this.

—————————

10 years ago, in a safehouse

—————————

I was in the bedroom, eavesdropping on Mika and Shinji's conversation with someone. They were by the living room.

Man: You taught me how to retire people and you want me to care for someone?

Shinji: Kiko, you don't have to care. Just keep her safe. She's...

Mika: Under some condition. We'll be on a business trip together that will take just 3 days. Until then, that's it. We'll take her again.

Kiko: Eh, alright.

Shinji: Wonderful. We'll be on our way now. You know the ins and outs of the house, yeah? Even if you need a refresher, contact my assistant Himegama to assist you.

Kiko: I'm doing this again because...?

Mika: Shinji trusts you. We have some enemies who obviously wanna pick a bone with us. To have something happen to Chisato....

Kiko: Okay. I'm good with that.

—————————

Back to now...

—————————

Chisato: There's this time I had some weird mini heart attack. He rushed me to the hospital, found out it was some programming glitch. It got repaired easily. This led to us bonding. He watched movies with me, fed me ice cream, cool guy. He cared.

Gray: Oh my God. I can't believe Kiko was your temporary guardian.

Chisato: I can't believe Casio was LilyBell. Did you always know we existed?

Gray: Yeah. Although we, at least me and Kiko, have never interacted with our female counterparts, had respect for how qualified and adept you girls are like us. I really wish we had a team-up, or some soirée or something. For some reason, the moment we were told of Lycoris' existence was the first and last time we talked about them ever again.

Chisato: Too bad, doesn't look like we're supposed to be pals.

Gray: How did you know I was working for Majima?

Chisato: It was an educated guess. Does Kiko know what you're doing?

Gray: He... he's dead. During a mission, he died in my arms before we could escape. He's also the one who gave me the knife, basically his last gift to me.

Chisato: Oh.

Gray: I never even got to apologise. I wanted to leave LilyBell at first because I wanted to be normal. It hurt him, and now I see why we gotta do what we gotta do. We have to stand and fight for those who can't. With all he's done for me, and with the awful choices I've made, I think I failed him. I wish we had more time...

Gray shed some tears. He wiped the gentle stream of them with the back of his left hand as he spoke.

Gray: And then when I wanted to flee from Majima, again I got my other friend Avi killed. I can't protect anyone. I don't know why I bother trying. I'm so incapable. I don't understand. With Casio gone and my exiled ass out of LilyBell, there is no point. I should've looked over Avi. I don't know how to tell his family the news. Sometimes...