Chapter 18 ~ Surprise

Start from the beginning

I continued to thank them over and over and they started to explain how the prosthetic worked.
"So you'll have to have another surgery to get this part connected to your shoulder and your nerves." Uraraka explained as she pulled a small piece off of the arm. "Once that's set up we can connect these tubes here together and they'll act like nerves that will control the arm and hand."
I nodded while taking it all in.
"Yeah! It'll be like a normal arm except so much cooler!" Sero chimed in.
I laughed, "So I guess I have to make an appointment."
"We've got that covered." I turned to see All Might walking in the door. "Your surgery is tomorrow." I smiled, fighting back more tears.
I thought about the entire process my friends went through to make this happen.
"Wait a minute..." I turned to look at Kirishima. "How'd you guys get my arm measurements? I don't remember you guys doing that." Kirishima blushed then looked over to Mina.
"O-oh. W-well you see, uh..." Mina stuttered awkwardly. "We didn't want to ruin the surprise so we kind of um... snuckintoyourroomwhenyouweresleeping."
I raised my eyebrow at her, "huh?"
Kirishima sighed and scratched his head. "We snuck into your room when you were sleeping..."
I stared at the two of them for a moment then started to laugh.
"That's amazing!"
Everyone started to laugh with me.
"I really don't know what to say. This means so much to me. Thank you."
We all gathered in a group hug.
"I love you guys."

I couldn't sleep at all that night. The excitement and worry played through my mind making it impossible.
"That hospital gown is really starting to suit you."
I smiled, "Well get a good look cuz this is the last time Kiri." He chuckled then sat on the edge of the bed. "I sure hope so."
We sat quietly, "I still don't know how to thank you."
Kirishima smirked then closed his eyes and poked at his cheek.
I rolled my eyes and leaned forward, planting a kiss on his cheek. He leaned back and stared at me, a bright red blush formed across his face. "I-I didn't think you'd actually do it."
I felt my face burn immediately, "O-oh uh-"
"Alright Mei you ready?" All Might said as he burst through the door. "Oh Kirishima. I didn't know you were here." Kirishima quickly stood up, turning to All Might then to me and then back to All Might. "I-I was just leaving." He turned back to me, blush still plastered on his face. "I'll see you when you wake up!" He said as he quickly walked out the door.
All Might watched as the boy left the room then looked to me confused.
I sighed and facepalmed myself, "jeez".

When I woke it took a minute for my vision to clear up. I looked around the room to see that I was alone, then looked over to my left and saw the piece of metal attached to me.
"Did it work?" I whispered to myself.
"Mei! You're awake!" All Might said as he walked into the room. "How do you feel?"
"Does it work? Is it working?"
All Might smiled, "The doctor said the surgery went great." I smiled back at him. "We won't know for sure until we attach the arm."
Shortly after the doctor walked in. "How are you feeling Miss Mei?"
"Good! Can we try the arm?"
The doctor laughed and nodded. He brought the arm over and began attaching the tubes.
"Now this next part might hurt, but if it does then that's a really good sign." I nodded. "You ready?" I nodded a second time.
"Okay. One, two, three..." I felt an extreme, sharp pain shoot through my entire arm into my chest but it was gone as soon as it came. "I felt it. I felt pain in my arm. This arm." I said shocked. The feeling of feeling pain in an arm that wasn't there was both terrifying and exciting. I never thought I'd be happy to be feeling pain again.
"Now, when you're ready, try moving your fingers. We'll work our way up from there."
I stared at the metal arm that was lying limp next to me. I focused hard on trying to move a finger, anything. Nothing.
I looked at All Might and the doctor nervously. The doctor put his hand on my shoulder. "Don't worry. It might take a second."
I nodded then turned back to the arm.
Just when I was about to give up hope I saw the thumb flex slightly. I gasped, "I did it!" All Might and the doctor laughed.
"Amazing! Let's try some more.

Kirishima P.O.V
I looked at the clock nervously. "Looking at the clock is only going to make it take longer Kirishima." Bakugou grumbled from the couch. I groaned and plopped down beside him. "All Might said that they'd be back 2 hours ago. What's taking so long."
"All Might also said that it could take a while for her to get used to it. She'll be back soon just stop worrying."
"I know you're worrying too Bakugou. The leg tapping really gives it away."
Bakugou looked to his leg then glared at me, "Shut it".
We sat quietly for what felt like forever. I started to think back to before the surgery and the kids Mei gave me on the cheek. I groaned thinking about how awkward I probably made her feel because of my reaction.
"Idiot" I mumbled to myself.
"Hey guys."

Mei P.O.V
Bakugou and Kirishima shot their heads around to me, eyes wide.
The rest of the class emerged from wherever they were and quickly started asking questions about the arm, which was wrapped in a sling.
"Does it work?" Sero asked.
I smiled then looked down at my arm. I managed to wave my hand at the wrist and wiggled my fingers.
Everyone cheered in excited. "Mei this is amazing!!"
I too a seat with everyone in the common room. "I can't exactly move my elbow or shoulder quite yet but the doctor said if I keep at it I should have a fully functioning arm by the end of the week!"

Everyone continued to ask questions about the arm until it was time to head to bed. "Mei can I talk to you?" Kirishima asked nervously. I blushed and nodded. "Um, about that kiss..." I chuckled nervously. "Ohh yeah. Sorry about that. I don't know why I did that. I think I was just nervous about the surgery." I lied. Kirishima smiled, "No worries! I just wanted to check with you and make sure things weren't awkward or anything." I shook my head, "No! Not at all!" He smiled, "Good. Im glad you're okay." He pulled me into a hug. "Me too." We pulled away from each other. "Have a goodnight Mei."
"Goodnight Kiri."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you all enjoyed this chapter!

So for those of you who haven't seen the anime and don't know what idea I brought over from FMA was the "automail arm".
I hope that my including aspects of a separate animes doesn't ruin the story for anyone. I love FMA and thought that the metal arm would be a cool idea for my character.

I also want to encourage you guys to either comment or message me on anything you guys love (or don't love) about the story!

See you in the next chapter! 💕