SIX

Jennie

Playlist: Future | Paramore
***

I must have looked guilty when I hung up with Lisa so quickly because Jisoo eyed me suspiciously as she let herself into my house.

“Who was that?” She dropped a bag from In-N-Out on my coffee table, flopped onto the sofa beside me, and ruffled Love’s fur.

I debated lying to her. I don’t know why. Maybe because Lisa was a woman and she wasn’t Taehyung and that made me feel guilty? But she’d see it on my face if I lied. She always saw through me.

“That was Lisa, Love’s owner.”

Her eyebrows went up.

I shrugged. “It’s nothing. She’s taking Love back.”

Her gaze softened. “She is? I’m sorry, Jennie. I know you really got attached to him.” She dipped her head a bit to look me in the eye. “Now quit fucking with me and tell me what’s really going on.”

My eyes narrowed. “I don’t know why I bother trying to keep things from you.”

“I don’t know why you bother either.”

I let out a breath through my nose. “We’ve kind of been talking.”

“Talking?” She grinned.

“Yes. Texting and on the phone.” Then I scoffed. “And wait until you see this.”

I grabbed my phone and went to the pictures Lisa had sent me of her and Tucker. I handed it over to her and waited as she looked at them.

Her eyes flew wide. “This is Lisa?”

“That is Lisa. And she’s nice. And funny. And really, really flirty.”

“And she has a great dog,” she said.

“Yes, and she has a great dog.”

“Is she single?”

“Yes.”

“Is she asking you things like whether or not you’re single?” she asked.

“Yes.”

She beamed, handing my phone back. “Have you met her?” Then she looked over at Love. “Why is her dog still here?”

“She’s in Australia for work for a few more weeks. I’m keeping Love for her until she gets back.”

My phone pinged and I glanced at it. It was Lisa. My eyes shot up to Jisoo, and she arched an eyebrow.

“Is that her?” she asked, smiling like the Cheshire Cat. “Is it a boobs pic? Is it amazing?”

“No, it is not a boobs pic. Ewww.” If she ever sent me one of those, this little back-and-forth would come to an abrupt end. “She wants to know if The Huntsman’s Wife is my blog.”

Her eyes lit up. “Are you posting again?”

“No, it’s a long story, how that came up.” I pursed my lips. “Why do I feel guilty about this?”

“Because you haven’t dated since Taehyung. Because you’re like a hermit. You remind me of those veiled Italian widows from the Old World, wearing black and lighting Virgin Mary candles, shuffling around with their rosaries and—”

I hit her with a throw pillow and she laughed.

“Seriously, Jennie. You’re a hot bombshell. You’re beautiful and talented, and you deserve to be happy again. This recluse stuff is bullshit.”