"I haven't seen you run screaming from the pointy end of a blade yet," Piper said, laughing as her seamstress lifted her arms.

"Blades aren't the same," I said, battling against the urge to tense my muscles. "Needles are discreet tools. They are hardly classified as a weapon, but they can do more damage than one might consider."

The man from the train had needed my blood to activate the crystal usually hanging around my neck. That needle might as well have been poisoned, and I would never have known until I'd been lying on the ground, unable to breathe.

The crystal was currently lying among my other belongings in the corner of the room—Mara's orders. I was lucky the thing still worked despite the new color of my blood.

"Any adult is allowed to have fears, Miss," Mara said, "but I wouldn't want you to look uncomfortable on your wedding day."

I snorted. That was too late already.

I was marrying Tarkan unless he'd finally found the courage to approach his father and argue his way around this ridiculous engagement. If he managed to fail, I would be pouting throughout the rest of my miserable life.

"I certainly don't hope you mean that you'll leave a few of those dreadful needles in the dress when I walk down the aisle," I said, taking one of the cursed pins out to throw at her with a playful smile.

She grinned and grabbed another needle to replace the one I'd taken out. "Of course not, Miss," she said, "but once you've recited your vows, it is tradition for the new royal couple to draw blood and place a few drops in the chalice of everlasting love."

I froze. "To do what?"

Mara stopped messing with my skirt and leaned back. "Yes. They have a special needle—"

"They draw blood?" I asked again, very aware of the creeping snake of anxiety slithering up my naked legs.

"Will," Piper said. "What's wrong with a little blood? That's how they made the crystals work, right?"

I hadn't wanted the wedding to happen in the first place, but if they needed my blood... This marriage could not happen. It would expose me before Art was ready with his plan.

I was about to open my mouth again when the doors to the room opened.

My breath hitched when I saw who had entered.

I turned my gaze to Piper, but she looked as bewildered as I felt.

Blue and green suits worn by two of Heliac's favorite heartbreakers gracefully drifted across the marble floor as they approached us.

I'd wondered when we'd see them again, but I hadn't expected it to be during one of our dress fittings.

"Lady Piper," Caiden said as he reached Piper, catching her hand and pressing his lips against her skin.

My heart stung.

Those were the same lips that had kissed me two weeks ago, only to leave me alone with unanswered questions and doubts since. He didn't even care to look at me.

"Willow."

I turned my head and looked down from my pedestal to see Tarkan standing before me.

The neck of his green suit hugged his throat tightly, and I quietly wished it would tighten even more.

"Prince Calix," I said, turning my body for me to face him like the lady I still pretended to be.

He took my hand and kissed the ring decorating my finger instead of my skin.