i won't let you down | dune x six-claws

omg i love these guys they're so sweet. i decided to write abt them before dune loses his leg & ability to fly

anyways enjoy these little guys

--

The wind seemed to blow from every direction on the desert plains, the sand being whisked away in the wind. It was a bad weather day in the Sand Kingdom, leaving a lot of SandWings to remain indoors.
However, for two SandWing soldiers, that wasn't the case. They were requested to stay out and guard some tent, but they didn't know where it was and had gotten lost when the storm struck.
"Dune?" A voice carried over on the wind, called by a burly SandWing, squinting his eyes. As he marched across the sand, unable to fly in such conditions, his six clawed talons kept falling down in the rapidly disappearing sand dunes.

A coughing noise sounded from in front of the SandWing general, who's eyes had lit up with relief. "Dune, stay there!" he called, attempting to go quicker with his movements. "I'm coming, just hold on!"

Coughing again, then a raspy, "alright," from somewhere.
The SandWing trudged through, squinting his eyes again, catching a glimpse of a dragon through the sand flying everywhere. The dragon rose his head at the sight of his companion, weakly grinning a greeting. "Hey, Six-Claws," he casually said, as if he wasn't spluttering over all the sand in his mouth. Six-Claws had noticed with alarm that Dune was bleeding from his shoulder. "You're hurt," he stated. "What happened?"

Dune shrugged. "I don't know," he said. "As if I could tell through all this moon-cursed sand!" 

Despite the severity of the situation they were in, Six-Claws snorted at Dune's attitude. "Alright, buddy," the general put more force into his step, brushing against Dune's warm scales, offering support for the wounded soldier. "Let's head home."

Dune leaned against Six-Claws' shoulder, letting himself feel comfortable in his close presence. The two soldiers trudged forward, squinting their dark eyes and tilting their heads to see the best they could. 

As they neared the main shelters, the sandstorm was beginning to subside. Six-Claws had noticed that Dune had gained a few extra scratches, unless they were already there and he hadn't seen them. On himself, Six-Claws had a wound across his leg, and a couple scratches along his body. It was funny how neither dragon really knew how they had earned those injuries. 

All the doors on the buildings were shut tight, and the two soldiers knew that the dragons inside wouldn't risk opening the doors for them. So they pulled themselves to the best shelter they could find, which was a semi-secluded tent. They were lucky that Dune had his sandstorm gear on, and had given some to Six-Claws.

Six-Claws found a pole and barricaded the door with it, setting down Dune onto the small patterned rug that sat on the tent floor. The SandWing let out an exhausted sigh as he rested for the moment, joined after a few seconds by Six-Claws. The soldier sat next to his companion, setting his wing onto his back. They sat together in silence, which was broken by Dune. "Hey, Six-Claws," he began, his tone light. "I'd hate to ruin our moment, but is there any bandages or anything that can bind our wounds?"

Six-Claws' eyes windened at that, realization kicking in. "Crap!" He cussed, jumping to his feet. "I forgot!" He then rushed to the walls of the tent, searching the shelves for anything useful. He found a roll of bandages, but that was it. Six-Claws scrambled over to Dune, who watched him with amusement. "You're a klutz," he observed fondly, which made Six-Claws roll his eyes. He pried at the bandages, rolling a sheet around his talons and wrapping it around a wound that glistened on Dune's shoulder. "Sorry Dune," he apologized. "I should've remembered."

Dune shrugged. "That's fine." He pointed a talon to Six-Claws' own wound on his arm. "Are you gonna fix that too?"

Six-Claws nodded, still busy with Dune's wound. He glanced towards the tent door. "Do you think the sandstorm is going to end anytime soon?"

Dune turned his attention to all the noise outside. The wind seemed as strong as it was when they were out there. "I don't think so," he sighed. Six-Claws frowned, although he agreed with his friend. He finished up fixing Dune's wound, and clumsily attempted to fix his own. Dune watched him struggle for a moment, then took the bandage roll from Six-Claws' talons without warning. He unrolled it, wrapping the fabric around Six-Claws' arm, wincing slightly when his shoulder pulsed in pain at the movement. He did it quicker than Six-Claws, who scoffed jokingly and called him a 'showoff'. 

"All right, now we can cuddle together," said Dune, beckoning his friend with his barbed tail. Six-Claws snorter in laughter, settling down next to him. "It isn't cuddling," he objected, placing his wing over Dune's back again. Dune laughed softly, resting his head on his talons. "Well, I say it is."

Six-Claws rested his head on his talons as well, closing his eyes in contentment. Dune remained awake, listening to the wind, waiting for the storm to end.