I push through a set of double doors into the foggy, dark room. The music is so loud I can barely hear myself think, and as I wander aimlessly inside, I notice the floor is sticky, the smell of alcohol thick in the air.

I spot the bar and head for it. I can sense Goh behind me, but ignore him as I slide onto one of the many free barstools. Most people are slithering against each other in the numerous seas of bodies on the multiple dance floors, or making out along the walls.

The bartender nods his head at me, so I order a vodka soda, hoping that's a normal thing to order here. Goh sits on the barstool beside me, frowning deeply, but doesn't speak, thankfully.

I feel a pair of hands on my shoulders, and glance over them at Gary, who's grinning from ear to ear. The bartender places the glass in front of me, and I hand him a note as Gary slides into the now vacant barstool beside me. I hadn't even realised Goh had moved. I look around, and see him talking to Quillon just a few feet away.

"Well?" He calls over the music, leaning into me. "Did it work? Did you talk?"

I scowl. "If you class snide comments and insults as talking, then sure."

Gary's disappointment is evident. "Really? After all this time?"

I shrug. "Apparently." I take a big swig of my drink. The soda is flat, and the vodka is strong. I wince. "Is this really what we're going for tonight?" I gesture to the ocean of sweaty bodies.

Gary's notorious grin returns. "This is exactly what we're going for, Ketchum."

"Great." I roll my eyes.

"And you're still technically single, remember?"

"And?" I toss back the rest of the drink and suck in a breath through my nose, trying to ignore how bad it is. I'm going to need it to get through tonight.

Gary shakes his head, then stands and pats my shoulder, hard. "I'll work my magic for you."

I'm about to argue, when a girl catches my eyes. She's blonde, and small even in her high heels, her blue eyes bright and wide as her mouth falls open. My heart does its familiar sink when she moves, heading in my direction.

"Oh my God, you're Ash Ketchum," she says to me, practically screaming over the bass.

I smile and shrug. I'm never sure what to say to that. All of Leon's coaching always goes right out of my head the second I need it. I wish I was in the crowd now, moving so much no one would have time to get a good look at me.

"Can I take a photo with you?" She asks. "I have to show my friend!"

We proceed to take probably the worst photo ever, the dim lighting and fog machines making it hard to even tell what it's a photo of, but she seems happy, so I don't comment. She smiles awkwardly and jogs back over to her friends, giggling. They huddle around her, looking at her phone. I sigh and turn back to the bar to order another drink.

An hour or so passes, and I mostly talk to Brock and Sophocles, watching as Gary drags a very unhappy Quillon into the crowd to dance. I'm finishing my third drink when he announces we're moving to another club just down the street. I don't complain- I've had enough of the repetitive music in this one.

The next club is much the same, except this one has multiple floors, all just as busy as the others. We push through the crowd and order drinks, but then there's nowhere to sit, and nowhere quiet enough to have a conversation, so we're forced to sway with the others. Admittedly, it isn't horrible. I'm almost enjoying myself, the alcohol going to my head and making my brain fuzzy. Gary's pretty drunk, making a fool out of himself, which makes Brock and I howl with laughter.