Chapter 20: Maximus

Start from the beginning

"The rogue is still belligerent and refuses to answer questions. She keeps insisting on seeing the children and asking what we did with," he paused momentarily, "... a woman she refers to as her... although she won't say who 'her'  is."

I nodded my head thoughtfully, placing a hand on my chin. I had no idea who the woman was referring to. We had no other rogues in our possession except for herself and the children.

"Thank you, Delta White," I said to him. He raised his brows in slight surprise and I rolled my eyes. My mate's good manners were clearly rubbing off on me. "Follow me," I told him.

He nodded.

I placed my hand on a green scanner, a light passing up and down scanning my hand like a copy machine. The door beeped and a large click sounded, signaling it unlocked. I quickly closed my mental channel with Evelyn. Despite how much it pained me to not feel her presence, I certainly didn't want her feeling the emotions that would be coursing through me as I interrogated the rogue. I grabbed the handle of the door, the one part not coated in silver, and opened it. Matthias followed behind me closely.

The area was dark, and if it weren't for my wolf vision I may not have been able to see a single thing. I walked down a set of old wooden steps. They creaked beneath my weight. The smell of rust, old blood, and mold filled my nose and I scrunched my face in disgust. Finally, at the bottom of the stairs, my shoes clicked against the cement floors as I walked past a few cells.

"You," a graty old woman's voice seethed.

I stepped in front of her cell, brows raised.

"You," I spoke, gazing intensely at her.

Peering through the shadowy darkness I made out the silver-haired woman. She sat on the floor of the cell, legs crossed and hands in her lap. Her hair was matted in disarray and she was covered in blood. My blood.

I squatted, making direct eye contact with her.

"You are going to answer my questions," I told her with my Alpha voice. The voice boomed and was deep and powerful. It could make the strongest of wolves fall to their knees.

Instead, she crawled forward glaring at me. She opened her mouth and I waited for her to say something. Instead... she spat in my face. Thick saliva dripped down my brow.

"Fuck you," she gritted.

I slowly lifted a hand, wiping the spit from my face.

"Okay..." I lowered my voice, "I am going to ask my first question and you are going to anwser me," I leaned in closer towards the bars, "Why. Are. You. Here?"

She lifted a finger and flipped me off.

My wolf practically clawed at my insides begging to be unleashed and show her just who she was disrespecting but I kept him at bay. I had a bargaining chip.

"Okay," I said with a shrug, I stood up and turned around, hands behind my back. "I had thought we might discuss the children next but..."

"Where are you going?!" the woman screamed at me.

I turned to face her, "Why? You just essentially told me to fuck off, didn't you? You don't want to talk. That's fine by me," I shrugged.