Chapter 16: Maximus

TW⚠️⚠️⚠️:
Domestic Violence
︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

I woke up grinning to myself, my mate's precious body snuggled against me, my arms wrapped around her. Opening my eyes, I looked down at her beautiful sleeping face. It was so calm, with a small grin painting her pink lips. It contrasted so greatly with the night before's terrors that I may have forgotten they existed yet I couldn't.

I woke up with a start, hearing screams from down the hall. My eyes shot wide as I sprinted to Evelyn's bedroom, hearing her cry my name. Fear overtook my senses in a way I hadn't felt in years as panic filled my chest. Swinging the door open, I saw Evelyn's shaking form hyperventilating in her sleep. I walked over to her and gently shook her, calling out her name.

"N-no, no, no," she sobbed sitting upright. She was awake but refused to open her eyes, every sign of panic on her face. She tried to shake my arms off, but I held her tighter.

"Shh, shh, shh, Evelyn it's me," I assured her, trying to rub her arms.

She blinked open her teary eyes, and I released my grip on her. She face was sullen and she continued to try and force breaths in to no avail.

"I-I'm sorry-" she cried.

"No, no, no" I hushed her, wrapping my arms around her. I held her against my chest, her back to me, gently rocking her. She continued to hyperventilate, gasping, and I began to fear her lack of oxygen.

"Evelyn, you're having a panic attack," I whispered in her ear, "I want you to find five things you see and say them out loud."

I knew the signs of a panic attack all too well, and luckily had learned ways to cope with them from my therapist Dr. Morrow.

Evelyn nodded, scanning her periphery.

"A-arms."

She breathed.

"Walls."

She breathed.

"Sh-sh-sheets."

She breathed.

"Pillo-w-ws."

She breathed.

"B-b-e-ed."

Her breathing was still small and incomplete gasps and I tried to get her to continue.

"Alright, good, good," I assured, rubbing her shoulders. "Now, say four things you feel."

"W-warmth. S-sheets. Soft cl-clothes."

She placed a hand on her chest.

"Y-you."

"Name three things you hear," I whispered.

"B-breath. T-the A-AC. Wind."

Her gasps had decreased to small shaky breaths and relief began to fill me.

"Two things you smell," I urged her.