Chapter 9

"I absolutely hate my roommate. I mean, she completely ignores me. Does anyone want to swap? Jill, Obi. Please?" Ingrid pleaded as they walked along the streets of Brazil after a nice dinner of traditional Brazilian cuisine. 

"Nope. Sorry. I'm having a good time with Pernille," Jill replied. 

"Same, my roommate might be shy and a little quiet but she ain't ignoring me," Lena commented. 

Ingrid groaned. She knew it wasn't going to work asking them and now she has to return to her grumpy asshole of a roommate. She couldn't possibly sleep in the same room as Mapi another night. What the fuck was she going to do? 

Ingrid walked into the room that she shared with Mapi, the 'great' Spanish defender. Sure, she was a brilliant footballer but surely she could have better manners. She unzipped her suitcase while she asked Mapi, "Do you want to shower first?" 

No answer.

"Mapi, I'm going to shower now then. Are you sure you don't want to go first?"

No answer. Ingrid rolled her eyes and turned around. Mapi was lying on her bed, engrossed in reading her book with not even a glance up at Ingrid who was talking to her. Frustrated, Ingrid stormed into the bathroom with her towel and change of clothes. Hopefully, a nice, warm shower was going to take her mind off her annoying roommate. It did not. 

A certain Scot and Norweigen laughed their heads off stumbling along the street and with Guro's 'meme face', people of the public would have surely thought that they were drunk. But they weren't. They were returning to the facility after a nice dinner with Ingrid and her teammates from Wolfsburg when Erin cracked a joke like she always did, making the pair start laughing their heads off. Guro Reiten and Erin Cuthbert were friends. Just friends. Even though everyone in the whole world seemed to think they were more. Erin and Guro were instantly best friends when Guro came to Chelsea and since then they have been inseparable. 

Keira sat upright on the bed in her room, texting her Lioness roommate. 

Keira: Lee, come to my room

Lee: sure. need to talk to you anyway

Keira groaned. Her face fell flat on the soft bed as she propelled her body forward letting gravity do all the work. Why was she like this? 

The first thing that Leah saw walking into Keira's room was a blob. A ginger-haired blob laying flat on the bed. 

"What's up, Keira?" Leah asked as she nudged Keira to get up and move so that she could sit down. 

"Why's Lucy here?" Keira lifted her ice-cold hands and planted them on her face pondering all her life's decisions. 

"Oh. So it's about that. I mean, Rach's ex is here. You know, the American, your roommate's sister. So you're not alone. I think she's dealing with it okay." Leah commented. 

"She is? How have I not realised this?"

"Yeah, Kristie. I was talking to her the other day. She's actually really nice."

Just as Keira was about to reply, the door to her room slammed open as Sam Mewis walked in, her head covered by some Christmas tree hat.

"What in the world are you doing?" Keira asked.

"Christmas carolling," Sam said plainly like it was common to go carolling in May.

"It's May," Leah butted in.

"It's a tradition at USWNT camp. Well, I'm trying to make it one. Anyway, I thought it'd be fun to go carolling here. Plus everyone's just coming back from dinner. Wanna join?" Sam explained before holding two reindeer ears out for the both of them.

Keira and Leah turned their heads and looked at each other before Keira grabbed both of the headbands, chucked one at Leah and said" Sure. Why not?"

Both still in the clothes they were in before, secured on their reindeer ears and followed Sam outside where Sonnett, O'Hara, Horan and the other Mewis were waiting each accessorised in their own Christmas decor. All of them were holding a piece of paper with Christmas carols written on it.

Leah walked over to Kristie, "Hey, Kristie, right? Your sister is...."

But before she could finish, Kristie started to talk "a lot. Trust me, I know."

"I was gonna say really funny and chaotic."

"Once you live with her for half of your life, you'll say the same."

"Haha, my brother's annoying to me too."

Of course, Sam Mewis was up front leading the group to Alyssa's room.

As the door creaked open to reveal Alyssa in her pyjamas, the girls started to sing in their own unique way. Let's just say they were footballers, not singers, for a reason. It was a shame that Rose wasn't there though. They moved on to the room opposite, Room 13. 

Lucy opened the door after she heard three loud knocks on her door. A bunch of USWNT girls were outside of her room singing Christmas carols. It wasn't until her eyes started to scan the group that she saw Leah Williamson among them. She searched the group for any more surprises and her eyes nearly popped out. Keira Walsh was singing Christmas carols outside of her door. The whole time she watched Keira as her cheeks flushed red with embarrassment, reading off Sonnett's sheet of paper. It was adorable. Lucy's eyes never took one second off her. 

Ingrid waved goodbye to her teammates before she swiped her keycard on the scanner outside her door. Hearing a beep, she pushed the door open and strode into her room. The first thing she saw was her roommate, yet again, lying on her bed, doing god knows what on her phone. 

"What are you doing?" Ingrid decided to switch things up a bit. 

"Fuck off," Mapi growled as she continued to glue her eyes to the tiny screen in her hands. 

"So the Devil speaks," Ingrid scrummaged through her luggage on the floor trying to find her pyjamas and towel. Once she finally found it, she stood up and walked into the bathroom. On her way, she got a glimpse of what was on Mapi's phone. She was texting her girlfriend. Ingrid wondered if the Devil had a soft side. She actually really liked this new nickname for her roommate, it suited her. 

It was almost 10:30 pm at night and Leah was lying on her bed texting her girlfriend. 

Jords: Come to my room, please

Lee: why

Jords: Cause I miss you

Lee: fine

Jordan opened the door to her room as Leah walked inside, her silk pyjamas half buttoned up. 

"Where's Erin gone?" Leah asked with a hint of worry in her voice. 

"Don't worry about it," Jordan tried to reassure her girlfriend with no success. 

"You better not have told her about us."

"Of course, I wouldn't. Now relax, Lee." Jordan stepped forward toward her girlfriend who did the same. She started to unbutton Leah's shirt, slowly as Leah led them toward Jordan's bed. She began to kiss Jordan's arm, trailing up toward her neck, her cheek and finally her lips. Jordan couldn't help but smile as she tasted the strawberry chapstick of her girlfriend while she lay her arms on Leah's shoulders, her hands playfully toying with Leah's long blonde hair. 

"Goodnight, Jords."

"Goodnight, Lee. Sleep tight."

Leah gave Jordan one long-lasting kiss before she buttoned up her shirt and left. 

Vivienne Miedema lay in the pitch-dark thinking. Just thinking. There was no way she going to sleep. She kept twisting and turning in her doona but with no luck, there was no position comfortable enough for her to sleep. Plus, there was no way she was going to bring out Flip. Frustrated, Viv stuffed her face into her pillow and groaned before turning and twisting around again. 

"What the fuck? Could you please stop?" Viv heard a loud voice say. 

"Sorry," was all Vivienne could whisper back. 

"Some of us are trying to sleep." Vivienne watched as the shadow of her roommate turned so that all Vivienne could see was her back.