chapter 22

"how was school" Rafael asked not really knowing how to start the conversation.

"It was okay sir"  Alex replied quickly. His eyes looking for every possible exit.

"Lorenzo mentioned you had soccer try outs, how did that go" Rafael asked.

"I think it went okay, I wasn't very good, sir" Alex replied.

"You were amazing" James said reassuring his brother.

Rafael smiled at the interaction between the two.

"I'm sure James is right, you put to much pressure on yourself. I have to go do some work but I'd very much like to spend some time with you three at some point if that's okay" he told them.

"Why do you want to spend time with us sir" Alex asked not understanding why.

"Well you are my children and I've been on a business trip so we haven't spent time together" Rafael explained.

Later that evening, the triplets had just finished their homework, they still had an hour before dinner was ready so they talked about their classes.

Skye considered telling them about Marco as it had become apparent that he was mostly targeting her. She knew Marco said some awful things to her brothers but he was definitely worse to her. In the end she decided against it. She  knew Alex would definitely attack Marco and most likely James would to. She couldn't risk Alex getting hit by him again.

One thing on her mind was Marcos words about Lorenzo not being around to protect her. Was it true now that their father was back?

"I think I'm going to go put my books away" she said picking her homework and books up as she stood up.

"Do you want us to come" James asked.

"We are coming" Alex stated.

"No. I want to be alone for a bit" Skye said quickly.

Alex and James didn't like this but knew argueing would get them nowhere so they let her leave. They saw she was distancing herself quite a bit but wanted to respect her decision however they were concerned.

She put her books away and left her room. She knew Lorenzo was usually in his office doing work around this time but she had never really seeked him out.

She stood at the bottom off the steps, she was very hesitant to go up. She remembered how Leo told her that they do alot of work up here and they should only visit if necessary so she didn't know whether to go up.

"What the fuck are you doing Skye"

The way he said her name made her shiver, he had said it with so much hate.

"I was just...um...well..." She couldn't get her words out.

"God you're so pathetic. You can't even speak now"

"Sorry" she quickly replied.

"You know what, I wish you were still with whatever foster family you had then I wouldn't have to see your stupid pathetic self everyday"

The words hurt Skye, after all there was no foster family, just a dark basement. A dark basement filled with pain and torture.

"And with Lorenzo leaving you won't have him around to protect you" he continued.

"Stop" Skye cried backing away from him.

Marco laughed and followed her.

"Please stop. Please"

She took another step back only this time what she didn't realize was  she was on the edge of the steps, her foot slipped and she started to fall but before she actually fell down, Marco had grabbed her arm and pulled her up .

Marco had seen how she was going to fall and in a split second he had reached out and grabbed her pulling her closer.

Marco looked her up and down, it was strange as Skye saw it wasn't how men usually looked at her, in fact she could almost see the same look Alex and James had when she got hurt.

Marco had looked her up and down for a brief second looking for any injuries.
"Are you hurt" he couldn't help ask.

Skye was still processing what just happened so she shook her head. Marco had probably just saved her from multiple broken bones.

She thought he would have given her the extra push to really finish her off but he didn't. It confused her.

"Why did you do that"  she dared ask.

His facial expression changed back into the cold and uncaring expression he always had "perhaps if you wasn't so stupid I wouldn't have to" he snapped and walked off.

"Maybe if you hadn't acted like that I wouldn't have almost fallen" she muttered.

She regretted it instantly when he turned back around. He looked angry, so very angry.

He glared at her, he didn't have to say anything, the glare was enough to have her shaking "I'm sorry" she quickly said.

He didn't say anything and it scared her further "I'm sorry sir" she repeated.

Marco turned and left. He told himself he enjoyed the fear she had for him, he ignored the part that wanted to protect her from the world or hug her and never let her go. He wouldn't do that though because she was annoying and he enjoyed taunting her.

He would not let himself have a weakness ever again.

He would not let her be his weakness.

Never again.

Skye felt like she could finally breathe again once he left.  She didn't wait around for him to change his mind so she went up to the third floor.

She soon regretted it when she didn't know which door led to his office. She was about to turn and leave when a door opened and he came out "Skye, What are you doing up here?" Lorenzo asked.

"I just....are you leaving?" She didn't really know how to say it.

"Not yet, I guess you saw dad" he replied.

"Yeah. You said when he gets back you're going back" she said. She hated being like this but she was terrified of Marco and she didn't want Alex and James to get hurt defending her.

"Not for a few days, i have lots of work to do and it's actually easier to do it here so I'm going to be here for a few more days" he reassured her.

"Okay" she knew she should tell him about Marco but she didn't want to cause trouble.

"Dinner is going to be ready soon. Shall we go find Alexander and James" he said.

Skye nodded and followed him back down the stairs.

"How was your day?" He asked on the way back down.

"It was okay, we watched Alex's tryouts, he was really good "

Lorenzo smiled hearing this, he couldn't help but feel happy knowing Alex did well.