Chapter 37: Saved Souls

Start from the beginning

"Something like that... I have a question if you don't mind." I closed the book as she awaited it, "Do you think a person's soul can change?"

"I'm not sure what you mean," She seemed confused.

"I've learned a lot today, studying here. There was once a question if people are born good or raised to be good. Now I wonder if a soul makes someone good and powerful, or if the person defines their soul," I returned the book to the shelf. "Sorry, you can forget my question, it was strange to ask."

"Alright..." She softly said as I left for the evening.

Later, I sat under a tree watching the quiet night sky as I contemplated a way to use the new information. I am completely at a loss, [Voice] can you analyze the information and make a suggestion with what I have? I know you won't think of something new for me but-

Received. Skills [Mind Library], [Sage] and recently gathered knowledge of magic can be merged with [Listener of The Voice] to create a more efficient skill. Do you wish to merge the listed skills? Yes or No?

That... was fast. Why didn't you suggest this sooner?

Answer. The individual did not request nor show desire to improve currently possessed skills and focused on acquiring new skills. Do you wish to merge listed skills?

Yes.

Confirmed. [Mind Library], [Listener of The Voice], and [Sage] will be merged into a new Unique Skill. Notice. Unique Skill [Great Scholar] has been acquired.

What's new about it?

Received. All of Creation & Chant Annulment has been added to [Great Scholar] due to the pool of knowledge acquired. Thought-processing has increased by several million with the parallel use of [Voice of The World].

That makes it sound like it's on the same level as [Great Sage], with that I could breeze through the rest of the books in no time and make more skills efficient.

Notice. Corruption prevents the merging of compatible skills under its effect. Suggestion. Focus on the removal of corruption.

I've thought about that, I don't have many options. You won't let me use True Dragon Magic, Ramiris won't let me rip out my soul, and [Great Sage] hasn't thought of anything...All things in this world have a counter, I'm sure. For every poison, a cure. But you, the doc, won't give it to me.

Notice. [Great Scholar] does not allow the [Voice of The World] to give any information outside the realm of the skill.

That doesn't mean you can't examine my soul and give me options... Surely there's a skill that can help.

Negative. No currently possessed skill can remove corruption.

I gave an exhausted sigh, "How great... I can't fix myself, how does Rimuru expect me to help children? ...I guess I'll think about it."

The next morning, Rimuru and I met up with the senior instructor once more to finish our tour and meet the students. He admitted with reluctance, noting that while he wants to trust in the same way the chairman was, the kids made it difficult to believe there was a person that could instruct them. It didn't help that neither Rimuru nor I looked that old.

At the door, the kids set up a prank by wedging a blackboard eraser at the top of the door. Rimuru was willing to take it and was opening the door when on the other side was a young boy, flaming sword in hand, who jumped at the door. His attack missed both of us, and the other two boys in the room cheered as if it was a success. One of the two girls was rather lively, more scolding than cheering.