Another Year of You

Start from the beginning

A chuckle came from the flagpole of a man as he lit his cig. "The poor kid's nose got broken. Blood everywhere. Lucky me, I was in the infirmary when they dragged him in."

"They didn't take him to the ER?"

"Well if they did, it would've been reported and Eustass wouldn't be on campus anymore, now would he?" Isha blew out a cloud of smoke and shrugged. "Dunno how he got this guy to stay quiet, but I wasn't about to say anything. I cleaned him up, Eustass paid me a couple hundred, and I pretended like I didn't see anything."

"Huh maybe I should have stayed to watch the end after all." Law mused.

Isha returned his smirk. "Ah well. Your loss is my gain. Besides, I need the money more urgently anyway. Twili's birthday is coming up and I want to get her something really special."

"Ah now I get it." Law narrowed his eyes and his smirk widened.

"Get what?" Isha's voice was a low warning tone.

Law looked at Isha and raised a brow. "You want advice on what to get her."

"I think I'm quite capable without your help." Isha scoffed. He flashed a brilliant smile at Law and turned it off almost as quickly as it came. "Thanks for the offer though, real sweet that you still care for her."

"I don't. I just remember the things she likes." Lied Law, looking uninterested. "Antique sewing scissors, pink plushies, old records. Dead things. Specifically the large taxidermied white rabbit sitting on her wish list for the past three years."

Isha didn't respond, just flicked his cigarette, looking equally bored with the conversation. "Yeah, well...thanks, I guess." His tone was lazy, but he flicked a genuine look of thanks at Law before tossing his cigarette on the ground and stepping on it. "Anyway, I'd best be off. I have a few things to pick up before the event. I'll see you later."

A frown graced Law's face in confusion. "Later?"

"Hah can't believe you forgot. Go ask (Y/n) if you're that lost. I'll see you later, Law." Isha waved over his shoulder as he walked off for his car.

Law watched him go and just sighed. That guy would be as difficult as he could possibly be right up till the end. Not that Law himself made things any easier on Isha. He pulled his keys from his pocket and made his way to his own ride home. (Y/n) didn't have anywhere to be today so he drove himself to class. It was nice not having to wait for the bus.

The drive home was relaxing as soon as he got out of the city. The traffic thinned out and he was left to just cruise the rest of the way, going on autopilot for a while. Mental exhaustion pulled at him from all the studying and he found himself zoning out.

"Hey, what's your name?"

A girl with bright eyes and a wide smile stared at him, waiting for an answer. She seemed nice enough, but the grumpy boy wanted nothing to do with her. He scowled at her and turned away, shrugging her off.

"Don't be so mean!" The girl whined. She puffed out her cheeks in a pout. "I wanna know your name so we can be friends!"

"I don't wanna be your friend." The boy huffed. He turned dead eyes on the girl and wrinkled his nose. "I don't need friends."

The girl blinked at him owlishly. The boy expected her to start crying and then he'd have to deal with being scolded for it, but to his surprise the girl suddenly raised her fist and bonked him on the head.

"Ow!" The boy snapped at her, gently rubbing the spot she'd hit. "Why'd you do that?!"

"For being stupid." The girl said bluntly. She gave him a distasteful look. "Maybe you're such a grumpy idiot because you have no friends."