CH22. Daph's POV - I Will

Chapter 22 – Daph's POV
I Will

My evening is a bust. Lexi is out studying with Blake and Alex is ignoring my calls. I have a theory about that second part, but I keep it to myself. I'm in no position to say anything about Alex's potential clandestine meetings.

Either way, I'm all alone on this fine evening.

It's on days like this that I'm kind of sad to not have any siblings. I mean, decent siblings. Kevin doesn't count. Manure has more value in society than Kevin.

Either way, it would be fun to have someone at home I can talk with, or complain to, or listen to their silly stories. I'm sad that I don't have that kind of companionship. If I want someone like this, I need to go hunt for them, they're not always right beside me at home.

I envy Lexi for this. Her and Tyler get along so well. And there was Annabelle before too. They used to be closer. Back when we were younger, the three Graysons were a close-knit trio.

I wish I had that kind of bond with other people.

Instead, now I'm sitting in my car trying to figure out who I can go annoy without actually alienating them.

Part of me thinks that maybe I should go to the music store and see if Jeff is there and if he can entertain me.

But then poor Jeff, he'd be like a barmaid that has to entertain weird old men just because they're stuck behind the bar and it's their job, and not because they actually want to make conversation with the creep.

So, I'm not going to force Jeff to spend time with me.

I still start my car and drive away.

I wish it would be the weekend and I could go annoy Flea Market Guy and potentially make out with him. We didn't make out last time. I'm a deprived deviant right now. It's not a good combo.

Maybe I should have his phone number. But then, if I did, that would be dangerous. And it would be like losing really. It would be like admitting I want him in my life and I can't do that.

I'm not going to lose to a Beatles hater.

So I drive around.

And I end up at Fred's fast-food joint.

I'm so predictable, it's sad.

There are a few customers waiting in line when I walk in, and Fred is all alone, managing everything.

This is not the first time that something like this has happened when I'm here, so I know what to do.

I know the code to get into the back store, so I do it and grab a shirt and cap from one of the hooks at the back and go to his cash register.

Fred looks at me relief in his face, and I just smile at him, whooshing him away.

I'm glad that I'm at least useful.

I didn't come here for nothing, or just to annoy Fred. I'm actually helpful.

When everyone is served and we're alone, I lean against the counter, taking the cap off and ask, "Is anyone looking after Jean?"

"For once my mom was there and she wasn't out of it, so Jean is home," Fred replies.

I tilt my head a bit looking at him, trying to read him. "How's your mom?"