# brains, not brawn

pairing: donatello x genius!yokai!reader
r / p: romantic, slight angst[?]
note: reader will be a yokai in this, since i wanted to spice it up with a yokai!reader rather than human. hope that's okay! also, humans are dumb but you didn't hear that from me /hj
reader is a wise/genius, and pretty looking kitsune! ik ik, cliché but i've been reading a bunch of kitsune!readers from tumblr and i just had to with donnie.
reader will be using gender neutral pronouns. [they/them]
includes dr. feelings, and reader friend-zoning donnie multiple times.
requested by: vikkiogacha8!

third person omniscient.

the ears of a familiar kitsune twitched as they heard the familiar voices of the turtles they hung out with the most. the door to their lair opened, which then the voices were more louder and more clearer to hear. "we nailed that mission! we were basically unstoppable!" leonardo boasted, hanging his arms around mikey and donnie, to which donnie swats his twin's arm and walks away to do his own thing.

the kitsune, rather known as y/n, looked over at the softshell turtle and showed a small smile, "hello, donnie. welcome back, how are you?" donatello raised an eyebrow at the rather taller yokai before him, but shook his head, "i'm fine."

and just as soon as he came back, he left once again to his lab, leaving the kitsune rather confused. donnie had been acting like this towards them for a month and a half. the two were usually good pals, both being the brains of the team, but now donnie has been rather distant to the kitsune.

it worried y/n, feeling like they may have upset their close friend. they let out an inaudible sigh, before turning back to their cup in hand with their favorite beverage in it. mikey noticed this, and walked over.

"hey, n/n! what's up, what's got your snout a frown?" the youngest turtle asked, sitting down next to the tall yokai. "oh, hello michael. nothing, it's just donnie has been really.. i guess, ignorant towards me lately?" y/n explained, placing the cup down next to their paws. mikey nodded, understanding y/n's problem.

all of a sudden, mikey appeared in a turtleneck and some glasses, as well with a pointing stick. "hi, i'm dr. feelings, and i'm here to help you understand your feelings with donnie." mikey- dr. feelings, explained to the yokai.

y/n has seen mikey become dr. feelings a lot, the first time was when he scolded donnie with his parenting skills with shell-don. y/n nodded at the box turtle, "continue."

"well first, i want you to explain how you feel whenever donnie decides to ignore you. or well, seems to be ignoring you." dr. feelings asked, holding the pointing stick in his hands. the kitsune scratched the back of their head, their ear twitching. "well, i guess i feel sad. i know he struggles with his emotions and isn't great with exposing them, but it'd feel nice to know if i did anything wrong to make him be ignorant. we're best friends!" the kitsune rubbed their arms. 

"mhm, mhm," the box turtle hummed in response, "well, have you tried talking to him about how you feel?" "well, no i havent. he always somehow gets to leave before i get to bring it up." y/n concluded, their ears pinning down to their head.

dr. feelings nodded, "well, maybe you should go do that right now! try to talk to him one-on-one, and bring up how his actions are making you feel. i know donnie doesn't mean to be rude, so just try." 

despite y/n and donnie being the geniuses, it felt nice to get advice from someone else other than yourself. "thank you, dr. feelings." the kitsune thanked, standing up and bowing towards him, "no problem!"

the kitsune padded through the halls of the lair towards the softshell turtle's lab. they reach the purple door, and knock on it. "come in." said the familiar voice from behind the door. y/n took a deep breathe in, not realizing they weren't even breathing, and entered the lab.