𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐍 𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐒 𝐘𝐎𝐔 → 𝐃𝐀𝐑𝐊 𝐒𝐎𝐍𝐈𝐂

Start from the beginning

Strangely, his legs felt numb - not a sensation the fastest thing alive would usually anticipate to feel - as his crouched stance to distract himself with a detached glare into the glazed window pane had been held for a good few hours. It was time to face the truth that laid dormant behind him, he knew that. Maybe some recognition would ease this pain rupturing his chest deep inside, the pounding seeming familiar from his speedy movements but foreign as they took place while still.

Sonic darted another glare at that flame, his feet embedded in his signature sneakers that could be described as anything but pristine tonight skidding lazily over the carpeted floor, and refusing once more to put any energy into pinching it out. The bed broke the clean circle of hazed yellow, and the silhouette of the lifeless body squashed into the mattress shattered the smooth line like a hill to flattened grassland. Sonic didn't think his frown could deepen any harder, but this sight proved him wrong.

He stooped to the rim of the bed, creased and warm. He leant his cheek to where his forearms sank into the mattress, folded over one another. Silky touches from the ruffled duvet spread atop tickled his skin, attempting to ease that emotional stab that felt as though it were to be cut deeper from the figure. Her shade projected to the wall from the candlelight shivered ever so slightly, and Sonic's heart twinged in a subtle hint of relief that she was still alive. Her breaths chilled the heated air, but Sonic felt a suspicious drive for more evidence of life.

(Y/n) was not fully spread across the bed, yet not fully curled to one side. Her legs were slightly bent in a route leading to her chest practically squeaking to obtain air, but her arms lashed out of their own free will. Her fingers were softly crooked and reached into her palms, inches away but with no success as her body failed to glow with movement. Her eyes, normally ablaze with hypnotising (e/c) that would amaze Sonic to the core, were smoothly closed, her damaged lids twitching feebly. From this angle, Sonic could just about make out her sorrowful face, that frown feeling permanent.

A breakdown felt imminent, sour tears stinging his eyes still glazed with the gold glow of the candle. Just a glance brought everything back, like a flood that destroyed the dam he had installed to his brain to keep the memories in the dark. It had only been a few hours ago, making the situation with a deathly consequence laid right before him harder to leave behind. Sonic could admit, although would be ashamed to in front of others, that he had never experienced a turn of events so horrific.

(Y/n)'s life felt like valuable treasure his existence secretly had the purpose to guard, and that last fight let it be stolen. Sonic rose his body to crawl over the bedding, his heart begging to get a closer look that his eyes would give anything to avoid. He balanced himself above her, knees denting the duvet on either side of her alarmingly still figure, and with his gloved hands slotted into hers rested above her injured head. That aureate luminance from the dainty flame set the memory alight, and Sonic let it poison his brain reluctantly as the consequence was inevitable.

Her clothes were demolished, torn everywhere possible and dyed with the wretched red of blood. It was shredded, and the gaping tears screamed with what her skin could be facing beneath the sanguineous scars to the new material. Smaller rips sneaked down the side of her shirt, flailing like the rim of a curtain as they sliced where it was designed to end. It reminded Sonic of how she ended up like this, the tears striken from the glass shards and robotic fingers clawing away at her when for once he wasn't fast enough...

Sonic ran his knuckle down her cheek frozen cold like death had already taken advantage of her struggles. Her skin felt ready to crack where it hadn't already, a gash destroying her forehead and burning her wrists raised aside. It felt like pure ice, and the hedgehog rubbed her face so delicately it wouldn't experience any more damage. Blood leaking from the cuts Sonic knew to be from that gruesome throw and that spine-tingling skid over the glass dried halfway down, just missing her eyes.