VI : Somewhat Trouble

Start from the beginning

"I don't need sleep as much as a normal human, and I'm cooking breakfast. Want to join?"

"Sure." Micheal shrugged as Irmina cocked her for him to follow while she placed the purring kitten on her shoulder. The small little kitten crawled its way to under her Kyudogi's [the top of the uniform] collar, nuzzling itself in the crook of her neck. Irmina froze in her way; this kitten just did something that was too familiar. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. The house staff should be waking up soon, and I want them to wake up with Breakfast ready."  Irmina shrugged, leading Micheal to the kitchen. "You craving anything specific?"

"Nope, I'm fine with anything." Irmina nodded as she walked into the kitchen and gestured for Micheal to take a seat by the island. "Very modernise for a traditional mansion."

"A little modernising wouldn't hurt. Nothing has changed much since the 40s." Irmina informed, looking through the fridge and cabinets for ingredients and taking out what was needed. "Just a few instalments here and there, but it's still how I remembered it from the 40s."

"Cool, I'm sorry, but when did you have a cat?" Micheal stammered as he realised a kitten had comfortably nested itself in the crook of Irmina's neck. It's very ticklish for Irmina, but she just lets the sleeping kitten be.

A sense of deja vu hit her.

Irmina chuckled as she continued with her cooking. "The stray was following you just now. I'll make you something to drink to stay awake."

"That would be nice," Micheal sighed, sinking into the chair while Irmina chuckled and prepped everything. After a few minutes, Irmina served the cold drink to Micheal, who accepted it gratefully. Within fifteen minutes, Irmina was almost finished with breakfast, just waiting for the rice. "Can I?"

"Wait for the rice to cool down a bit." Irmina voiced as she covered the food. "Let's get to know one another, shall we?"

"Sure, how should we start?"

"The basics. Irmina Adelina König. Born on the third of October 1923. Very German. Born and raised in Berlin."

"Micheal Zachariah Schmitt. Born on the fourth of May 1985. Very American. Born and raised in New York."

"Baseball fan?" Micheal nodded with pride as Irmina chuckled, letting him have a snack. "Only child."

"Oldest of four." Micheal sighed as he took a photo showing his family in Yankees jerseys. Irmina smiled as he pointed to himself in the middle of his brothers.

"All boys. Damn, your parents must have been dying."

"Oh yeah, they were." Micheal laughed, keeping the picture. "Single."

Irmina gave him an unamused look before continuing. "Seeing that I just came out of the ice a few days ago, very single. Preference for women."

"Same. Doubt that you won't be lonely for long." Micheal nonchalantly replied without care that Irmina likes women, especially in their time now, and commented on Irmina's charm to attract literally anyone. Irmina jerked her head in agreement; she had already taken an interest in someone here. "How's that like in the 40s."

"Very annoying. How's that like now?"

"Better, a little more acceptance."

"Better than nothing."

"I have a question that I may regret asking." Micheal stammered while Irmina cocked her eyebrow and sat opposite him. "You're their aunt?"

One question that made Irmina freeze with her movements. She may have forgotten that Micheal could understand Japanese the night before. Irmina took a deep breath — "Technically, no, but yes. I was married to Aki, their aunt. Not officially, because you know, she passed."