vol.35: Sketch

「Know that I gave you the world, and you just gave me hell.
Felt like a hundred punches, too many tough pills to stomach.
I watched you making it public. Lights, camera, fuck it.」
"All the Things I Hate About You" / Huddy

"Thank you so much for your help, dear."

I smiled politely at the older woman, accepting the 1,300 yen that she offered me. We were standing in the entryway of her house, the door behind me. "You have my number, so if you need anymore help, please consider calling me."

"Yes, I will." She smiled kindly, resting her hands behind her back. "That reminds me. One of my girlfriends mentioned something about needing an English tutor."

"I can speak English!" I replied quickly, pointing at myself. "Please give me the details, Kao-san!"

"My, my. You're so eager to work, how refreshing!" She patted my arm. "Back when I was your age, all I cared about was shopping and hanging out with my friends. Why, when my mother made me get a job, I was so angry. We didn't talk for two weeks!"

"Ah, is that so?" I didn't want to tell her that I didn't actually want to work, but my desire to no longer be a burden to Cobra is much stronger than my desire to not work. I've been job hunting for what feels like ages and I still haven't found any steady income. It's mostly just been odd jobs around town for a tiny bit of money. Though, I guess I should be grateful that they're willing to pay me at all.

"- can you believe that? I really learned the value of a yen that summer. Oh, but I'm sure you don't care about me reliving my youth, ne?" She laughed and I realized I had zoned out, not hearing a single word of her story. Woops.

I cleared my throat awkwardly. "It's okay, but um... about that English job?"

"Oh, yes. Mako Hana was the one who mentioned it the job." She glanced down at her watch. "And you're in luck! She should be at the salon about now. Just tell her that I sent you, okay?"

"Thank you so much!" I bowed, quickly turning and leaving the house before she could start telling me another story.

As I walked down the street, I stifled a yawn, arms stretched above my head. My eyes scanned both sides of the street for the salon in question as I walked. Huh, maybe I should have asked the name or address. Should I go back? I haven't made it that far from her house. I paused, glancing over my shoulder as I considered this and then I shook my head. No, not worth the risk. Thankfully, there aren't many salons within Sword so I was able to find it without too much difficulty.

In my lifetime, I've been inside a salon a total of two times and I hated it each time. All the different smells gives me a headache, the sound of the blow dryers made me want to scream, and I always feel awkward because it's obvious I don't belong here.

"Welcome!" A thin man with short, blonde hair approached the counter that sat in front of the door. "Do you have an appointment?"

"Ah, no." I glanced behind him at the rows of chairs that lined each wall.

Three women were inside the salon. One was getting her hair washed, one was sitting under one of those large, dome dryers. And the last was getting her nails done at the back of the room. All three looked to be in their mid-forties, early fifties. How am I supposed to know which one is her?

"Well, we don't usually accept walk-ins, but business has been slow lately." He glanced at me before consulting the appointment book that sat on the desk. "There's been so much fighting around here lately. Seriously, what is wrong with kids these days? What I wouldn't give to be able to give them a piece of my mind!"

"I really couldn't say..." I smiled nervously, clearing my throat. "And I'm actually not here to get my hair done or anything. I'm looking for a woman named Mako Hana-san and I was told I could find her here."