vol.16: Worth

Time to say it out loud, we are young and we're proud.

Chiharu glanced over at me as we walked side by side down the quiet street. The sky was dark, night having fallen an hour ago, and the street was empty. "Thank you, Jen-san..."

I patted his shoulder before slipping my hand back into my pocket. "Don't worry about it. I'm sorry things didn't work out with Sannoh."

"I understand why," he sighed, turning his gaze to the sky.

I doubt he felt much safer with me by his side, but I wanted to walk him home anyway. If he gets jumped, maybe I can lessen the damage he receives, at least. The night was peaceful, but I couldn't help but to feel on edge. The last time I was outside at night, I ended up with a knife in my back. The memory is still fresh, so being out at night again so soon after... I shook my head.

"Are you really not part of Sannoh?" he wondered.

"Nope. I'm basically just a freeloader that they took pity on." I realized he might be upset by this so I quickly added, "I'm not part of Sword because I'm not from Japan. I only came here recently."

"Really? Where are you from?"

"The States. Specifically, from a hellhole called Florida."

"Is it really a hellhole?" he hummed. "People often talk about vacationing there."

"Well yeah, a vacation is one thing. They spend a few days and then return home, believing that their good experience extends to those who live there. It's a tourist destination, not a place anyone wants to live for an extended period of time."

"Is it true that you only have summer there?"

"No." I sent him a blank look. "We have summer and summer with rain."

The corner of his lips tugged upward and I found myself smiling, as well. He looks so much cuter when he's smiling opposed to when he's sad or afraid. I wanted to do for him what Lala did for me – distract him from his problems.

"It's just so humid, ya know? You go outside and immediately start sweating. And if you don't have AC, you -" My words died and my body tensed up when I heard the sound of footsteps behind us.

Chiharu frowned at me. "What's wrong?"

I tried to swallow down my nerves. Should I tell him that I think we're being followed? But if I'm wrong, I don't want to worry him unnecessarily. If I'm right, though, telling him could prepare him for the worst. I glanced over my shoulder and cursed. Oya Kou!

"We need to go. Now!" I grabbed Chiharu's arm and we started to run but we didn't make it far as more guys appeared in front of us. We were surrounded with nowhere to go.

"Chiharu," one of the men smirked as he slowly stepped forward, resembling an animal circling its prey. "Finally found ya." He grabbed the collar of his shirt and the others moved in closer.

"Me?"

I blinked in confusion at the sound of a familiar voice, glancing over my shoulder as a leather-clad man pushed his way through the group to reach the vending machine. At this angle, I could only see his back and the phone pressed to his ear.

"Oi!" One of the Oya boys yelled at him but was promptly ignored.

"Right now I'm on Sannoh's end."

"Oi!" The guy yelled again, slapping the man's shoulder.

The man grabbed him and threw him into the trashcan beside the vending machine, prompting the rest of the Oya crew to rush at him but he took them down easily all while remaining on the phone. "Wait a sec." He grabbed one of them, shoving him so hard that he fell into another guy, both of them hitting the ground. "I'll call you back."