It doesn't hurt anymore

Start from the beginning

Checking out the blueprints that were laid out the hood of the SUV of the building they'd be hitting with the lead agent, Thomas Barclay, he briefly glanced over at Katherine who was biting at the bit to go. Since she didn't get much road time back home she'd called dibs the second they exited the quinjet. Indulging her, Steve folded up the map and hopped in the passenger seat, nodding at Thomas who intended to drive to get in the back. Amused by the way the excited female Avenger, Barclay chuckled as he did as the Captain said.

Merging onto the highway he looked over at Katherine when she loudly grumbled at the assholery of the Washingtonian drivers. "Kat, I need you and your pick of agents to scout the building. See where Travers is and try not to make too much noise or a scene. Remember, we're trying to get in, get him and get out quietly."

"Yeah, yeah Spangles. I know what I'm doing." Shooting him some annoyed side-eye she concentrated back on the busy highway. Gripping the steering wheel she purses her lips unhappy that he might be inferring that she was reckless. "I might be new to playing on a team, but I won't let you down."

"I know you won't." Reaching over he placed his hand on her thigh, giving it a soft squeeze before remembering they weren't alone. Taking his hand back he tried not to sound too gruff but still sound professional. "I didn't mean to make it sound like I don't trust you. You know I do. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked you to come with me. You're invaluable to me. And the team." He added hastily.

Kat shot him a bright smile and waggled her eyebrows silently telling him that that wasn't the only reason he should be glad he'd brought her. At the reminder of what happened on the quinjet Steve shifted in his seat. Trying very unsuccessfully to will away the immediate reaction in his pants as the sight of a half naked Katherine riding his cock flashed through his mind. Focus, Rogers. He couldn't let their personal relationship affect the mission because that's when mistakes were made and people got hurt. Giving her a look to say 'knock it off', he half turned to talk to Barclay about who was going with who.

"I call dibs on Thomas and Charlie." Steve and both men in the back seat focus their undivided attention to the woman who sat there driving with a wide smile on her face. Glancing over at him she lifts an eyebrow. "What? I read over their files on the way here and I think their skill sets will compliment mine. Like I said, I'm still new to playing on a team and these two have been SHIELD agents and partners the longest. Meaning they know each other well and are loyal as hell. I want that at my back."

"We have no problem with that. Do we Tommy? Believe me when I say I'll willingly cover whatever part of you that you want, love." Charles Fletcher says flirtatiously with a wink directed straight at Kat through the rearview mirror. Laughing he looked over at Barclay who looked uneasy and then over at Steve who was glaring back at the man. Seeing that he might have made a mistake, Fletcher quickly apologized as he averted his eyes from Kat. "I meant no disrespect, Captain. Ma'am."

"We're here to do a job. See that you keep the flirting to yourself." Steve told him harshly before tapping his comm to let the three agents in the other SUV know they'd be with him. Turning around he ignored Katherine's surprised and intrigued look at his outburst from the corner of his eye. He avoided looking at her because he didn't know himself what came over him. Seeing as he hadn't had a problem with her flirty banter with people in the past he didn't know why now, this agent, made him angry. Steve tried to reason that he was stepping in on Bucky and Loki's behalf, refusing to look any closer at it.

A few blocks away from the office building Travers was in, they parked and got out. Grouping at the trunk to grab weapons Steve pulled Kat aside. "I really hate to ask this of you, but we need to blend in as much as we can." Sighing dejectedly, Katherine avoided his gaze. Taking her hand in his he rubbed his thumb along the back of it. "You know I hate that I have to ask you to do this-" Squeezing his hand she cuts him off.