viv. there's the rub

Start from the beginning

"how long..." lorelai begins to ask luke while attempting to sit down at a table but said diner owner quickly stops her.

"nope, can't sit here."

"why not?" lorelai asks.

"three people got nailed in the head here earlier."

"but their food was okay, right?" lorelai quips.

"will you just move?" luke begs as lorelai's cell phone rings "outside." luke points towards the door with a stern look on his face.

"you know, if i sit here one more second, i just might be outside. order me some coffee." lorelai walks away; jess walks over to the table and hands emilia an open umbrella.

"oh, you are really funny. you and tom should put an act together." luke points to the girl. "i'd leave it open."

•••

after a couple of minutes on the phone, lorelai comes back into the diner and goes to sit back down at the table with rory and emilia but luke calls her over to the counter.

"luke, what's up?" lorelai asks the grumpy diner owner

"is something wrong with emilia? the last time she looked this down was when...oh no. did her nightmares start up again?"

"yeah they did and i feel awful. the poor girl isn't getting any sleep at night even when rory or i go in there to sleep with her." lorelai frowns, wishing she could help the girl in any way.

"i would offer for her to sleep here but the apartment is a complete mess and construction guys are here every morning starting at 5:30. it's a miracle jess and i haven't killed each other yet."
luke explains to the gilmore girl.

"i know you would. i just wish i knew how to help her."

lorelai and luke both turn to look at the girl silently sitting at the table who looks as if she aged 10 years over night.

"me too."

•••

rory is out of the house for a while and lorelai won't be home until tomorrow so emilia decides to catch up on laundry while she has the house to herself. laundry sure beats having awful nightmares the entire night.

currently she is on the phone, sitting on the living room floor surrounded by piles of clothes.

"no, that's two orders of garlic naan, three simosas, and a chicken vindiloo. And rice, and the green sauce, and no salad, and...oh wait, sorry. can you hold on a sec?" she answers the call waiting. "hello?"

"hi, this is phil's liquor. i'm supposed to be delivering a keg there tonight."

"hold on." emilia switches back to the other call. "hi, sorry. yeah, that's it. forty minutes, great. bye." she witches back again. "hey, lor."

"who was that?"

"sandeep's."

"oh, you're ordering the indian food?" lorelai cringes over the phone.