CHAPTER XXXII: The Moon

Start from the beginning

And now, Sally is indeed standing there, watching over you while singing a song in her mother language as she watches you interact with Jared and a less confident Dream. She still watches some of the others look at the werewolf and spirit enviously, while only feeling bad for you.

When she's done singing, she leaves the microphone behind and sees how Fundy too has already found his way closer to you, but she doesn't greet him like she normally would've done. Instead, she stands in front of you now, a weak smile on her face as she ignores the paining memory of the murder on her husband. She doesn't have to close her eyes now and remember that terrible event.

"Hey Y/N!" she says with a smile, standing next to Jared as she takes your hand in both of hers. "I saw you dancing. Did you enjoy it?" You're thrown off by her unexpected question, but you answer it nonetheless.

"Yeah, I suppose it was pretty fun." Sally keeps asking you all kinds of questions to prevent anyone else – besides Jared and Jack – to talk to you, but when the whole crowd falls silent and the music stops playing, she too is distracted by the arrival of the remaining Protectors. Drista flies down and Crimson stands on the balcony where she held her speech a week ago. Philza, meanwhile, follows the Erinys, who has already found her way towards the food. He gestures to the people to continue what they were doing, although quite some of the people present approach him, likely to ask whether or not it's true that you indeed could be harmed now without any consequences. And judging by their reaction, it's indeed a positive reaction.

Sally sees that you know and notice this, but your aunt seems to be the life saver you needed, appearing out of nowhere as she puts her arm around your shoulder, startling you in the process, and stretching her terrifying wings with a smirk on her face.

"So, cousin, how's life been going ever after our last encounter? Learnt a lot yet?"

"I learnt that my cat shouldn't eat chocolate," you respond, Drista tightening her grip on your shoulder as she laughs, sending a glare towards someone who Sally cannot see without turning around.

"Having a black cat always helps, although I bet that cleaning up his puke is a lot less fun, huh?" she laughs. "I've never actually had a cat before, as you know. Onyx seems a lot easier to handle than this dog I had a while back. He vomited trice as much!" She then looks over at the spirit, who's looking at her afraid. As a reaction to this, the Erinys simply laughs and throws her other arm over him, laughing hard and excited as well, even when he lets out a short scream at the sudden touch. "Come on, Casper. No reason to be intimidated. I'm here to have fun as well, not to torture any unfortunate souls."

"I've never seen you at any of these, Drista," Sally comments and she laughs.

"That's because I usually found them to be dull and uninteresting. But now that my cousin is here, I suppose I have to keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get too drunk, don't you agree?" She seems to mean something else. Sally can only guess what this is.

"I suppose I get what you mean," the siren answers with a faint smile. "I'm a mother too, you know."

"I know," Drista laughs as she glances over at the fox standing behind Sally awkwardly, "but the beloved vampire family is surely not that much in danger as Y/N is, right?" You don't like that she insinuates that, and Sally notices it easily. However, nobody says a word about it. "In any case, would you all like some champagne? I can get it for you, if you'd like."

"I'm not thirsty," you say quite immediately, feeling a bit paranoid at the thought of being poisoned. But then again, why would they poison all of the champagne?

"I'd like some," Sally smiles and Jared simply shakes his head, before glancing over at the clock. You do the same, although the siren can't guess why either of you would want to leave the festival earlier. Sure, she can assume that Jared wants to be home in time – which is the convenience store to him, she's pretty sure – but she can't think of any reason for you to go before everyone else, especially not after what happened last time when you left alone.