Chapter Twenty: Dancing

Author's Note: Just wait... the random video will make sense later :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay Lexie... no looking," Dallas insisted with a smirk, tying a bandanna around my eyes.

"I'm not, don't worry," I laughed.

With Dal' holding onto my shoulders, we walked down a dirt road. I couldn't see, of course, but I could tell where we were going by every twist and turn we took. The faint sound of cheap country music growing closer and closer only confirmed my suspicion- I didn't let on to Dally, though.

"Hank Williams, man," he said from behind me, disgust in his voice. I turned around and smiled at him.

We paused at the front door, the smell of whiskey and cigarette smoke lingering in the air. The sound of Hank Williams echoed through the streets, and red lights blinded my vision as Dally untied the bandanna. He turned to face me, a huge grin on his face. I could tell by the look of triumph in his eyes- there was more to his top-secret plan.

"We gonna stand out here all night?" I asked, crossing my arms and winking at him. He then proceeded to sweep me off my feet, carrying me into Buck's bar.

"I-I swear- if you drop m-me" I warned in between my laughs.

"Don't worry, Doll. I've got ya," he reassured, walking swiftly up the stairs.

We passed Buck's bedroom, a bathroom, a closet, and Dal's room as I grew even more curious. If we weren't going to the bedroom or the bar... where were we going? Though before I could finish figuring this out, Dallas stopped abruptly and released me from his arms. He smirked, then pulled down a rusted metal ladder from the ceiling and opened the hatch, signaling for me to climb up. I carefully climbed the ladder- a difficult thing to do in heels- as Dally followed closely behind me. As I stepped onto the roof of the bar, I felt a huge, surprised smile grow on my face.

Overlooking the bright lights of Tulsa was a small, round table with a red and white tablecloth. There were two plates covered in tinfoil, one for each of us, and two Cokes. As I stood there taking everything in, the soft hum of Elvis' voice could be heard from downstairs, causing me to gaze up at the sky. It was absolutely perfect- a clear night with a full moon (or as my mother would've called it: a lover's moon.) I turned around a grinned at Dal, who had a cigarette sticking out of his mouth. I couldn't help but feel lucky to have someone like him.

"Well man, we gonna eat or what?" He asked, grabbing my hand and grinning at me, then leading the way to our candlelit table.

"Smells amazing... I didn't know you could cook," I laughed as he pulled out my chair for me and I sat down. Dallas walked in front of the table and took the tinfoil off both our plates, revealing two hamburgers and some fries.

"Steve insisted on helping me with the burgers after I almost burned y'all's house down," he explained, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well, it looks great," I replied with a reassuring smile. It definitely wasn't anything fancy, but it was exactly what I wanted. Dally took his seat and we started eating- I'm sure I had a stupid grin on my face the entire time- but so did he.

"I'm just so glad we can put this past week behind us... it almost doesn't even feel real. I mean... so much happened," I said with a sigh, taking a sip of my Coke.

"But... it wasn't all bad, right Doll?" Dally asked with a smirk and a raised eyebrow.

I knew what he meant; we hadn't been officially "dating" until just a few days ago. So despite the murder, the church fire, and my little near-death experience- it hadn't been a horrible week.

"Of course not," I laughed, playfully kicking him in the leg. This caused him to look over at me with his warm brown eyes and I could slowly feel my ears getting hot. God- I loved him so much in that moment.

Dally's POV:

I looked over at Lexie and I immediately fell in love with her all over again. The way her wavy brown hair fell over her shoulders- the way her hazel eyes shined whenever she laughed or smiled- she wasn't like Sylvia and all those other broads. In that moment, I knew Lex was different.

As the song playing downstairs crackled and came to an end, a new one slowly started. Without hesitation, Lexie's entire face lit up.

"This is my favorite song," she said with a huge, stupid grin. "You wanna dance?" She asked after a few seconds of thought.

"Sorry, Doll, I don't dance," I replied with a shrug.

"Pleaseee," she pleaded, pulling me to my feet.

"Fine... but you better not tell the gang 'bout this," I gave in with an embarrassed laugh.

You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you
You'd be like Heaven to touch
I wanna hold you so much
At long last, love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive
You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you

The radio sang as we danced around the roof. I messed up a lot- stepping on Lexie's toes and stuff- but that didn't bother her. She had a huge smile on her face the entire time, her arms cradling my neck. I don't think I've ever seen her happier than in that moment, slowly swaying back and forth to the music.

Lexie's POV:

As soon as we started dancing, time seemed to fly by, though I never wanted it to end. Dal really doesn't give himself enough credit when it comes to slow dancing- he isn't half bad.

The sight of you leaves me weak
There are no words left to speak
But if you feel like I feel
Please let me know that it's real
You're just too good to be true
Can't take my eyes off of you

I sang along as he twirled me underneath his arm. Everything was absolutely perfect- like something straight out of a movie- none of it felt real.

As the next verse started and the rhythm slowly picked up, we followed along effortlessly.

And if it's quite alright
I need you, baby
To warm the lonely night
I love you, baby
Trust in me when I say
Oh, pretty baby
Don't bring me down, I pray
Oh, pretty baby
Now that I've found you, stay
And let me love you, baby
Let me love you

I happily danced and spun with Dallas all around the rooftop, laughing the entire time. We probably looked like fools... hell we absolutely did... but that's the happiest I've been in a while. I was having the time of my life- and even though he won't admit it- I know Dal was having a good time too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

So... I'm back... an entire month later... because of SCHOOL. Like come on!! I have the ideas, I have the motivation, but I don't have any time to ACTUALLY WRITE 😩

But you know what? I ended up getting this chapter done (eventually) and I think it turned out pretty cute. Not perfect, but cute :)

I JUST LOVE THESE TWO SO MUCHHH <33

Hope you enjoy and stay gold 🌅