Chapter 5

Chapter 5-Similar Yet Different

Sure enough, time had gone by with the passing of Uzumaki Yamamoto along with the sudden surprising deaths of Orochimaru, and Jiraiya of the Sannin. As time progressed, Konoha grew stronger despite the loss of three strong Shinobi who helped defend the village with their strength. The only one who really wasn't enjoying the village's current prosperity as much was (surprisingly) the Sandaime Hokage and it was quite clear to those around him (and knew him) knew why that was the case.

Two of his students were now dead. The Uzumaki Clan was alive and thriving with each passing year. Kushina was visiting them every so often to keep up with what her clan was doing. Not only that, but his plan to secretly start the Third Shinobi War in order to bring about the secret destruction of the Uzumaki Clan a second time in the process had failed miserably to produce the results he desired. The Uzumaki Clan's strength had practically doubled if not tripled since the previous war with no signs of stopping. They had long since increased their security and their Shinobi were now making sure all guests from Konoha were well monitored when entering the village. Danzo couldn't even get his Root agents Hiruzen allowed him to have on the side to infiltrate the village when an attempt was made to find a weakness that could be exploited. It wouldn't be long now before the Uzumaki Clan was recognized as a Sixth Shinobi village. Even with the Third Shinobi War making its mark known, the Uzumaki Clan was showing none of the signs of being taken down anytime soon.

Even the Sandaime Hokage's own future successor Namikaze Minato, who Kushina was so damn smitten with during her Genin days, and intended to marry wasn't strong enough to keep her rooted to Konoha. In fact, Minato seemed to be like Hashirama in terms of siding with the Uzumaki Clan's way of doing things over Konoha in regards to certain issues. Those specific issues Hiruzen himself chose to either ignore, or had sided with the overall opposition against the Uzumaki Clan with Kushina being their representative in Konoha.

Namely regarding the Hyuuga Clan's Cage Bird Seal. The "noble" clan was fighting the issue tooth and nail despite the Uzumaki Clan having made a legitimate argument over the matter. It was to the point where the Fire Daimyo was going to come to Konoha this week to hear the issue for both sides before rendering his own ruling, which would be considered final in terms of how the issue was decided between the clans.

"You must convince the Fire Daimyo to side with us on this issue Hiruzen. I won't have the weak members of my clan merge with the strong. The eldest born rules the Main and the younger sibling serve in the Branch. That is the way of the world. Those are the rules of nature!" exclaimed Hibachi, who was showing his age by this point, and intended to have his eldest Hiashi rule within a few years.

Maybe half a decade from now at most!

"I know that Hibachi. I know! I intend to side with you on this. But it won't be easy. This issue has been around since Yamamoto was alive and you fell into his trap of demanding proof his clan made a version of the seal everyone in your clan could wear. You are quite fortunate that I have been able to properly stall the decision for so long since this started and the war we are currently having gives us some leverage to hold off on the issue until the war is resolved," said Hiruzen with Hibachi snorting.

"So you say Hokage-sama. But the war won't last forever. And you won't be the Hokage forever. Rumor has it you will be passing the hat to your successor, who just happens to be in love with Uzumaki Kushina. The very same Kushina, who wants the seal altered so my entire family can wear it," countered Hibachi while seeing Hiruzen's eyes narrowing at his words.

"Perhaps, but you forget yourself Hibachi. You forget that once I step down, I will be in a position to become a member of the Shinobi Advisory Council. My years of wisdom in being the longest running Hokage to date thus far will have a great deal of influence on my successor when we discus things. Add in Danzo, Koharu, and Homura, we will be sure to influence Minato to follow the course we set for him. Besides, my original plan was to name Orochimaru as my successor, but as you well know...the dead can't become Hokage," said Hiruzen with Hibachi huffing.