⤹25❁ Last Times

Start from the beginning

Will saunters towards her bed, grabs a pillow from underneath Rayna's head and presses it against her face. A bunch of muffled screams fill the room. He lets go of the pillow and tosses it aside.

"I hope whatever you were saying were compliments." He smiles at her, triumphant.

She brushes her static hair off her face, now puce. "No wonder you don't have a girlfriend."

"Actually, I've got a date tomorrow, thank you very much." He pushes his chest forward, proud.

I would be lying if I said that his statement didn't intrigue me. I'm not jealous or upset. It's just a feeling or sheer curiosity that bolts through me.

I turn my head in his direction the same moment Rayna almost gets a whiplash.

"A date?" she repeats, as if she's never heard this word before. "You don't date."

"I dated Davina," he says defensively.

Hearing my name, and the way he says it, like it's some sort of a term for an experiment rather than a name of someone he once cared about, makes me even number towards him.

"I'm ready. Can we go now?" I gush, desperate to put and end to their conversation.

Will glances at me and his expression changes, as if he understood his words came across wrong.

"Yeah sure." He gestures at the door. "After you."

~~~~~~~~~~

"So . . . How have you been?" he asks within the first few minutes of our silent drive.

I stare stubbornly ahead. "I'm good. Very good actually."

His hands tighten around the steering wheel, and it is such a brief movement that I almost miss it. But then his grip loosens, as though whatever thought had crossed his mind, fleeted.

"That's good. That's really good." He nods his head, seeming occupied by his own mind. Then he lets out a heavy sigh and glances over at me. "Listen, Davina. I'm not here to try to win you back. I'm happy for you. I'm happy that you're happy with Nathan. It's been a while since we separated. Yes, it hurt me a lot, but I had months to understand your decision and I want you to know that I agree with it hundred percent. I wasn't the greatest. In fact, I was merely good. But I'm trying to change, and making things right between us is one of my ways to become a better person. Plus, I've met someone and I really want to give it a shot."

I allow myself a minute to process his confession. Once I'm sure that he's genuine and his intentions are good, my body relaxes at instant.

"Okay, fine. I'm sorry." I look at him. "It's just strange to be around you after everything that's happened. It's strange to be your friend again."

"Tell me about it." He laughs, and so do I. "But I think we were better off as friends than lovers."

I nod my head in agreement. "Can't argue with that." My eyes move back to the road. "So what's her name?"

"Emily."

I snap my head in his direction. "That's so fucking weird, Will."

"How is this weird?" He chuckles quietly.

"That's the name I used on the app."

His brows twitch in recollection. "Oh shoot. You're right." He ponders for a moment. "Do you think it was a sign?"

"A sign?"

"Yeah." He clears his throat. "You know, like a sign from the universe. That Emily was the girl I was supposed to meet."