The Three Soldiers

Start from the beginning

He shook his head and averted his eyes from America. Softly sighing, he turned around and kept walking.

"Ok, hey, wait a minute. I didn't mean it like that! Just... Come on, I was- I was joking! Haha got ya!" The American threw up finger guns and pointed them at Aus, but he never turned back around.

Desperation quickly filled his voice.

"Aussie! Aus, come on. Talk to me!" He started walking after his brother, but I decided to stay where I was, comfortably in the shade, hidden from the blazing sun.

I could still hear his exasperated sigh as he chased after Aus.

"Australia! Please, talk to me..."

"You watch over my car while I'm gone. Don't scratch it or by god, I will swim across the ocean to clock you." Australia said this in a stern but playful manner, waving the keys in front of America's face before unlocking the car door.

"Don't go, Aus. Please? Just a little longer, maybe... Maybe I can work something out and pull together some cash or-" Before he could finish Australia gently interrupted.

"I'm sorry, for everything Ame. But I can't stay here anymore, waiting on a maybe. I want to get out and see the world... I just wish I had my brother with me." Before climbing into the car, he pursed his lips in a sad and distant smile.

America stepped back, defeated. The rumble of the car engine starting made me flinch, bringing me back to the dire reality of my current situation.

The car pulled away and America turned around. It was as if I was blending into the wall, because he walked right past me, rubbing his striped face.

"Sir, excuse me..." My voice was like a pin, popping the balloon of tension.

"Hm? What- the..." America looked me up and down, a confused look plastered across his face. My attire proved unsatisfactory.

"Sorry to bother you, but where am I?" I ignored his distasteful looks while he rubbed his eyes again as if he didn't believe what he was seeing.

"Uh, you're at Cliffside. What, last night a long one huh?" He pushed his way back through the doors, not giving me a second thought. I followed him closely behind, determined to get something more out of him.

"I meant planet and year. Where am I? What year is it?" I tapped his shoulder before he turned around again. His wide frame towered over me, and I had to crane my neck to look up at him. My black hair fell behind my ears. I could tell he noticed my features, his gaze flickered over my face and down my neck.

"Look, I don't know what kind of joke this is but go find someone else to play it on ok, I've had a long day-" He began to turn back around and walk to the original table he and his brother sat at.

Once again, I simply followed him and sat across from him once he sat down. He looked up at me, shrugged, and pulled out a newspaper.

"Listen to me, I'm serious. Where am I?" I pressed the matter, leaning over the table in much the same way he did when he was arguing with Aus.

"Alright fine, I'll bite. San Francisco, California, In the good ol' US of A. The date is in the newspaper, here." He laid out the newspaper on the table and pointed to the top. In neat black print, it said,

July 27th, 1950.

The world seemed to dissolve around me.

There's no way. I can't be stuck in 1950... I'm...

No. Absolutely not. I need to get back home, right now. The hum of electricity and the smell of iron crowded my thoughts, home sweet home, back in 4036.