Sick

"Mady?" Kelly's head poked into her friend's office, confused by the sight of the woman lying on the couch, shaking and ghostly pale. "Mady! Are you all right?"

An agonizing moan responded to her.

Kelly rushed to her friend's side, placing a hand on Mady's burning forehead. This caused Kelly great concern. The woman was perfectly fine when they got to work that morning. She was also in tip-top shape when they returned from their lunch break not even two hours ago. What could have happened between now and then to cause Mady to get so sick? The only thing Kelly was aware of was the surgery Mady had when they returned from lunch.

"I am going to go talk to the boss, tell her what's going on, and then I'm going to come back and take you home." Mady only had enough strength to nod her head, pulling the emergency blanket tighter around her trembling body. "Don't worry, girl. I'll get you home."

Luckily for Kelly, Mady had nothing remaining on her schedule today, so she was able to take her friend home with no issue. With a quick pitstop to the drugstore, Kelly picked up some tissues, soup, and cold medicine.

Mady couldn't have asked for a better friend. The second they walked into her apartment, Kelly helped her get out of her work clothes, into something cooler and more comfortable, and rearranged the living room with everything she would need for the foreseeable future. .

"What happened? You were fine most of the day," Kelly asked once everything was within arms-reach of the make-shift bed. "I've never seen you so sick. Do you need me to call anyone? You're not going to die on me are you? You're as white as a ghost."

"I'll be fine," Mady replied with a whisper. "Every now and then I get sick like this. I'll be better in the morning after a good night's rest."

"That's a crazy 24-hour bug," Kelly commented. "You sure you don't want me to stay with you in case you need anything?"

"I'm positive," Mady nodded. "Thank you for bringing me home. You're the best friend a woman could ask for."

"You're damn right, I'm the best," she kissed Mady's burning forehead. "Feel better and call me if you do need anything. I'll be here before you hang up the phone."

"I will," she waited until her friend left before turning the lights off and falling asleep. Unfortunately for her, what felt like two seconds later, a loud knock at the front door caused her eyes to snap back open.

"Mady? Are you all right in there?"

Steve!

Their date.

It was tonight.

How the hell could she forget?

"Damn it," she groaned, rolling off of the couch.

The headache that was slowly fading away, now came back in full force.

"Hi, Steve," she mumbled, opening the door, a blanket tightly wrapped around her shoulders. "I'm sorry I didn't call you. I don't think I'll be able to go out tonight."

"Good thing I came prepared," he held up a large paper bag, big enough to feed a small army. "Kelly called me and told me all the details. I brought all your favorites. Sour patch kids, pretzel chips, ginger ale, chicken noodle soup. The works."

"You are a saint," Mady gave him a small smile.

"It's my job to take care of you, remember?" He kissed her forehead. "Damn, you're burning up. What are you doing out of bed?"

"Language," the woman giggled, leading him into the living room. "Someone had to answer the door, otherwise; I'd be in la la land right now."

"Then let's get you to bed," Steve insisted.

"Steve-"

"Nope, I don't want to hear it," he dimmed the lights in the apartment, stashing the food into the fridge. "Sleep now. Talk later."

"But-"

"No buts."

She wasn't getting out of this one. No matter how much she tried. With a huff, Mady plopped onto the pull-out, wrapped herself into a tight burrito of blankets, and rolled onto her side to watch Steve mosey around in her kitchen. She loved him so much.

"All right," Steve spoke, once everything was straightened up, looking much more presentable. He turned his attention to the woman on the make-shift bed, who'd been trying her best to stay awake. Some color was returning to her face. A good sign that she was indeed getting better. "You're looking better already. Are you feeling better?"

"A little," she said. "Give it a few hours and I'll be right as rain."

"This has happened before?" he asked, taking a seat on the edge of the pile of blankets.

"Rarely, but yes," Mady shook her head. "Migraines, nausea, body aches, and fever usually. They kill me for about 24 hours, but then it'll be like nothing happened."

"That's strange."

"I'm used to it by now," she sighed. "You don't have to stay here, Steve. I feel terrible that I ruined our date."

"Nonsense," he replied. "I'd prefer a night in with you any day. Even if you are under the weather. Do you need me to get you anything?"

"You in these blankets with me," Mady stated, lifting one arm up in the air, welcoming him into the warmth underneath. "It'll make me feel loads better."

"How could I deny such a tempting offer?" Steve responded, taking her into his arms. "You're shaking, too."

"I know," Mady curled into his embrace. "You're so warm."

With a smile on his lips, Steve reached across the woman wrapped around his torso to turn off the living room lights. This was not the evening Steve had planned by any means, but as long as he was able to spend time with the woman he loved, he didn't mind.

The first thing Mady noticed when she woke up was how much better she felt. No pounding headache, no shakes, no fever; everything seemed to be back to normal. A good night's rest was just what her body needed to recharge. The second thing Mady noticed when she woke up was Steve sleeping soundly beside her.

"I can feel you staring at me, you know," he answered, eyes remaining closed. "Are you feeling better?"

"I feel like a million bucks," she kissed the tip of his nose. "Thank you for staying with me while I was sick."

"Of course," Steve yawned loudly, arms stretched above his head. "It's in the job description. I'm glad you're feeling better. You weren't kidding when you said all you needed was to sleep it off."

"This isn't my first rodeo, cowboy," she tossed the sheets to the side, heading to the kitchen. "I should call Kelly and let her know I didn't die. Hungry for some breakfast?:

"Starving, but probably not as starving as you."

"Is that even possible?" Mady questioned, rummaging through her freshly stocked fridge. "Thank you for all the groceries."

"Sure," he joined her. "Omelets or pancakes?"

"Yes."

"Good choice."

*****

Over 1,000 reads! 
Thank you all so much! 

Over 1,000 reads! Thank you all so much!