Chapter 16- Fatal

I'm in the library, stuck by my usual spot by the window. Books stacked next to me as I read up on herbology, delving into specifically nightshade and wolfsbane.

Wolfsbane- a controlled substance distributed only by the Medical Facility in France. Fatal to both Were's and Lycans. Can be a source of food the for caterpillars of moths. Grows in partial shade and can take as long as two years to germinate. Do not consume this plant!

Nightshade- Can take form on or of trees, vines, and shrubs. Black nightshade is commonly referred to as the one that is the most poisonous to humans. It induces fever, sweating, vomiting, confusion and pain. Do not consume this plant!

Before I continue on I jump at the sight of Opala, who stood directly in front of me. A small smile on her lips as she stared at me unblinking.

"H-hey?" I stutter awkwardly.

She tilts her head not saying anything but calmly walks over to the window ledge and sits with me.

"What are you up to?" She asks.

"Researching the toxins that tried to kill me." I say lifting up the book. She drops the condescending look for one of concern and leans in closer to see the book I'm reading.

"Oh!" She scoots in.

"It's interesting." I sigh. "They chose a mix that would target the wolf and human side, completely killing the person and leaving them with no internal back up plan to heal or find help."

"But you fainted. Juni brought you back on the train and you couldn't even wake up!" She looks up at me even more confused. "You were out for three days."

"I was embalming. I'll extract everything from the cadavers, sickness, diseases, and take them into myself. It's supposed to simply go away after a few hours, but then again it was hundreds of people poisoned off wine." I say as my eyes scroll down the page.

"Where did the wine come from?" Opala asks looking at the page with me.

"RavenHill."

"That was Avis's territory." Opala whispers in shock. "Someone's working out of his old territory? That's so stupid, why start there of all places?"

"I don't know. But GrimFather hasn't gotten back to me about anything happening in France, I might have to go and see for myself."

"You...can't." She looks at me bewildered. "RavenHill is all the way in India!"

"Um no, it's right between Guyana and Brazil in South America. I can't imagine more fertile land to be cultivating Wolfsbane or Nightshade." I say slamming the book closed before grabbing my things and taking off. Opala stammers to herself before following me.

"How do you know? How are you supposed to get there? How are you going to get permission from Ms. Penelope, she'll never let you go!" Opala shouts as she follows me back to Obsidian. People stopping to stare, watching her chase after me.

"I've always believed it's best to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission. And the label on the crate gave it away. They put coordinates, thankfully I remember the numbers."

Making it to my apartment, tossing my things to the side as I enter my room. Quickly pulling out my shovel from underneath the bed and tossing it onto the mattress. Placing my hat on the bed as I hurriedly change my shoes from flats, to boots. Stomping my feet into them as Opala stands at the door.

"You're really going." She states.

"Yeah. I hope you understand the urgency, Opala. I'll be fucking damned if there is someone trying to recreate what Avis did." I say and stand, grabbing my things off the bed, I turn back to Opala to find her gone.